Mrs. Kimble

by Jennifer Haigh | Romance |
Registered by nocton4 of Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 5/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by nocton4 from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 08, 2006
Synopsis from Amazon
Covering a span of twenty five years, Mrs Kimble tells the story of three women married in succession to the same man -- a charismatic opportunist named Ken Kimble. Told from the perspective of each Mrs Kimble, it offers a mesmerising look at how three very different women become accomplices in their own deception. We see Ken Kimble through the eyes of the women he seduces: his first wife, Birdie, who struggles to hold herself together in the months following his desertion; his second wife, Joan, a lonely heiress recovering from personal tragedy, who sees in Kimble her last chance at happiness; and finally Dinah, a beautiful but damaged woman half his age. Woven throughout is the story of Kimble's son Charlie, whose life is forever affected by a father he barely remembers. Ken Kimble is able to become, for a while at least, all things to all women. To each of the three Mrs Kimbles, he appears as a hero, to whom powerful needs and nameless longings may be attached. Only later do they glimpse the truth about this elusive, unknowable man.

Journal Entry 2 by nocton4 from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 14, 2006
I enjoyed this book so much, reading it in a couple of days ... couldn't put it down.
Sharing it round on a ray with

purpleRosebud
Calalilly
Afir
notingnothing
scotsbookie
candy-is-dandy

and maybe more.

Enjoy ... love & sunshine Denise xx

Journal Entry 3 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Many thanks book arrived today! In the middle of my current book so look forward to reading this very soon.

Journal Entry 4 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
An enjoyable read! I found it very absorbing with turns to the story that I hadn't expected from the synopsis on the back cover. Thanks nocton4 for sharing.

Will be passing it on to calalilly tonight at the Talisman meet up.

Journal Entry 5 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 10, 2006
I really enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down. I liked the way the book was split into parts for each marriage and not going from one women to another in different chapters like some authors do. Will look out for future books by the writer. Will send off to Afir
as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 6 by AFIR from Filey, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 03, 2006
I enjoyed this book and hope everyone else does. I loved each of the wives and enjoyed their different lifestyles.
Also loved the way the book was arranged.
Sorry it has been so long in my possession but Mother came to stay for the weekend and stayed three weeks, could only read at 2am!!

Will post on to 'Notingnothing'.

Journal Entry 7 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Arrived today - thank you :)

Journal Entry 8 by notingnothing from Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2006
Enjoyed this - thank you for sharing it with me :)

As others have commented, liked how the book was arranged - and also how the Charlie's character kept re-appearing and develops. A sad story - and although we get to know the wives well & how their lives are affected by Ken, we never really get to know (or understand) Mr Kimble. And although I was curious, I don't think it mattered & possibly would have detracted from the story...

Will post to scotsbookie this week.

Journal Entry 9 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Arrived safely this morning, thank you noting-nothing.

Journal Entry 10 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
An enjoyable read. As others have said I liked they way the story of each wife was told. I only had one problem, I didn't seem to engage with Birdie the same way as I did with Joan & Dinah & therefore the first part of the book went slowly for me, but then I raced through it.

I have candy-is-dandy's details & will get this on its travels again asap.

Journal Entry 11 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 12, 2006
Off on its travels to candy-is-dandy this morning.

Journal Entry 12 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2006
Arrived yestersay - thanks very much - I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 13 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Braintree, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, November 25, 2011
I have never got round to reading this, though keep intending to. It has been sitting waiting for my attention for much too long. I'll send it on to be enjoyed by someone who may read it before I will.

Released 8 yrs ago (11/25/2011 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

To Ladkyis who won it (some time ago) on a bookswap on bcuk extra.

Journal Entry 15 by Ladkyis at Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, November 28, 2011
received from C-i-D as a complete surprise. I had forgotten I won it. Just at the right time too because I have one other book, received this morning, to read and then nothing. My "to-be-read" shelf is empty.

Journal Entry 16 by Ladkyis at Monmouth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/7/2013 UTC) at Monmouth, Wales United Kingdom

In the waiting room of Isaac and Rowlands Dental surgery, St James Square, Monmouth