Devil Take the Blue-tail Fly

by John Franklin Bardin | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by veganknitter of Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 5/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, May 07, 2006
Picked up at a secondhand bookshop in Harrogate yesterday.

Hoorah!

Journal Entry 2 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, May 08, 2006
Offering as a mini bookring thing to other members of the Manchester Bookcrossing Group.

Members:

jehanine
jmcbeth
Back to me

Journal Entry 3 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, May 08, 2006
Reserved for jehanine or jmcbeth

Journal Entry 4 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, June 01, 2006
To be given to jehanine or jmcbeth (whoever wants it first!)

Journal Entry 5 by jehanine from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
A surprising book, and one that it's hard to believe was written by a man. As always in the wonderful Bardin's books, it's a combination of crime, mystery and mental illness, with the protagonist being a vulnerable musician recovering from a breakdown. Seeing her carefully neutral husband, shrill sister-in-law and sinister ex through her distorted and sensitive vision we know that tragedy is near; what isn't clear is what will happen to whom and how.
This reads more like something written twenty years ago rather than sixty years ago, and it could easily have been a Virago paperback given its contents. The portrait of Ellen and her silent struggling is vivid and forceful, and the descriptions are spot-on, both of character and event. I'm passing this on to Joyce tonight, but I feel that the story will stay with me for a while.

Journal Entry 6 by jmcbeth from Boothbay Harbor, Maine USA on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
It's such a shame John Franklin Bardin only wrote 3 books since the two I've read so far have been so memorable.

In Devil Take the Blue-Tail Fly, he paints an insightful view into the main character's mind and her struggle for sanity and control. The slow building train wreck of Ellen's post-treatment life leads up to a climactic, disasterous, out of body experience of an ending.

This book is reserved to return to veganknitter!

Journal Entry 7 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006
I now have this back and it is going into my Permanent Collection for a bit to give me a chance to read it.

Thank you for your journal entries jmcbeth and jehanine; excellent as always.