Last Man Out : The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster

by Melissa Fay Greene | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 015602957x Global Overview for this book
Registered by TITurtle1 of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on 5/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by TITurtle1 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 6, 2006
Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster

FROM THE PUBLISHER
One evening in late October 1958, the deepest coal mine in North America "bumped"-its rock floors heaved up and smashed into rock ceilings. Most of the men on the shift perished. But nineteen men were trapped alive a mile below the earth's surface, struggling to survive without food, water, light, or fresh air. Almost a week passed without rescue. Hopes of finding life dwindled; then a miracle happened: Rescuers stumbled across a broken pipe that led to the cave of survivors. In the media circus that followed, the survivors' endurance was mythologized and twisted, and the state of Georgia's tourism ploy-inviting the survivors to recuperate on a Georgia beach-turned racist and pitted the miners against each other.

Using long-lost stories and interviews with survivors, Greene has reconstructed an extraordinary drama of their struggle and miraculous rescue.
SYNOPSIS
Day by day, and hour by hour, journalist and popular historian Greene recounts how 19 survivors, of 174 total miners, were rescued from the deepest coal mine in the US when it collapsed in October 1958, the experience of officials and families on the surface, and the fate of the survivors afterward.

Journal Entry 2 by TITurtle1 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, October 13, 2006
Sent to zoisme as a part of the Non-Fiction swap. Hope you enjoy the book. And once again, it was nice to meet you. :-)

Journal Entry 3 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, October 22, 2006
I received this safely in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Turtle!

Journal Entry 4 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Monday, February 12, 2007
I finally got a chance to sit down and read this over the weekend, and it was fascinating! It's hard to believe anyone could have survived such an experience. I appreciated the amount of time the author spent describing the aftermath of the disaster, and how it changed the lives of the survivors and the character of Springhill itself.

Thanks again, Turtle!

Journal Entry 5 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Friday, April 27, 2007
Mailed today to AceofHearts, who selected it out of the Everybook VBB at BookObsessed. (Didn't I steal this from you at some point during that non-fiction swap, Ace?!)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 4, 2007
Received in the mail today. Yep you stole this book from me and it ends up here :) And even weirder is the fact that Lauren made the label for Turtle:)

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 23, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Chamberlain Rd. in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (8/14/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Chamberlain Rd. in Burlington, Ontario Canada

I've been doing some bookshelf cleaning and I've had this book for too long, time to share! I'll be giving these to someone to help populate a little free library in Mississauga. To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.

Journal Entry 9 by LFLHunter at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 14, 2022
My husband and I took a mining tour, may years ago, so this book caught my eye. I found this book in a front yard library in Burlington, Ontario I look forward to reading it.