DRY A Memoir

by Augusten Burroughs | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 5/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, May 06, 2006
"From the bestselling author of Running with Scissors comes Dry—the hilarious, moving, and no less bizarre account of what happened next.

You may not know it, but you've met Augusten Burroughs. You've seen him on the street, in bars, on the subway, at restaurants: a twenty-something guy, nice suit, works in advertising. Regular. Ordinary. But when the ordinary person had to drinks, Augusten was circling the drain by having twelve; when the ordinary person went home at midnight, Augusten never went home at all. Loud, distracting ties, automated wake-up calls, and cologne on the tongue could only hide so much for so long. At the request (well, it wasn't really a request) of his employers, Augusten landed in rehab, where his dreams of group therapy with Robert Downey, Jr., are immediately dashed by the grim reality of fluorescent lighting and paper hospital slippers. But when Augusten is forced to examine himself, something actually starts to click, and that's when he finds himself in the worst trouble of all. Because when his thirty days are up, he has to return to his same drunken Manhattan life—and live it sober. What follows is a memoir that's as moving as it is funny, as heartbreaking as it is real. Dry is the story of love, loss, and Starbucks as a higher power."

I picked up this copy at a garage sale this morning. I have another copy on Mt. TBR, so will likely try a bookray with this one or make it available.

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Starting a bookray with this one! Here's the list! (subject to change):

momx3lovesbooks (Nebraska, USA)
dittybopper (Louisiana, USA)
Karenlea (California, USA)
whitehorsy (BELGIUM)
BettyBoekwurm (PORTUGAL)
bestfriends (FRANCE)
Hellie (UK) (asked to be skipped)
concertina8 (AUSTRIA)
froggirlwendy (AUSTRALIA)
-Bodhi- (AUSTRALIA)
tantan (AUSTRALIA)
miss-gonewest (AUSTRALIA)
sudokugirl (BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA)
Withoutwings (Florida, USA) (no response to PM's)
Brewster13 (CANADA)
valerief (New York, USA)

I'm not going to make any strict "rules", but if you could read and get the book moving within a month or so, I think that's a good guideline. I understand that things can happen, however, so if that's the case, please just PM me with a status report. Please make a journal entry when you receive the book, and then again when you mail it off to the next person, along with your thoughts on the book, of course! Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, May 14, 2006
The ray has begun (or is about to....)! The book will be shipped to the first person tomorrow. Enjoy, everyone! :')

Journal Entry 4 by momx3lovesbooks on Saturday, May 20, 2006
Book arrived today. I have 1 in front of it. I should have it done in the next week. :)

05/25-Just a quick note to say that this book will be coming with me on vacation. I have dittybopper's address already and will be mailing it while on vacation. I probably won't be making a journal entry saying when it's on it's way.

Im really enjoying this book!!

06/07-Finished the book a few days ago but just getting a chance to journal it now. I loved this book! After reading "Million Little Pieces" by Fry several months ago I was really hesitant to read this one. But I believed every word of it! Im sending it to dittybopper today via media mail. :)

Journal Entry 5 by dittybopper from Hammond, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Received today and I am looking forward to reading it. I really enjoyed Burroughs' "Running With Scissors" so I know I'll like this one too. I'm finishing up a book now and will read this one next. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by dittybopper from Hammond, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, June 14, 2006
I really admire Augusten Burroughs for his honesty, talent, and his ability to know when to inject humor into a difficult passage of his life and when to be deadly serious. This was an engrossing book - I picked it up every chance I got because I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. In my opinion, Oprah should have been promoting Dry: A Memoir, instead of Fry's very unbelievable mess of a book - but that is just my personal opinion. Burroughs is believable, open with what appears to be his true feelings, and very likeable.

Thanks for sharing this one with me indygo88. I have been enriched by this story. I have been in contact with KarenLea and will be mailing it out on Friday the 16th of June.

Journal Entry 7 by dittybopper from Hammond, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Mailed to KarenLea today.

Journal Entry 8 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Thursday, July 06, 2006
Caught!!! I have a few rings/rays ahead of it, but I should be able to start it soon. Thank you for sharing!!!

Also, the bookmark that came with it is very cute!!!

Journal Entry 9 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
In general, I really enjoy reading memoirs and I found this one to be exceptionally good. I loved Burroughs style. He made me drew me into his world. I found myself laughing at many points and I felt somewhat devestated towards the end. I can't wait to read his other books and I would highly recommend this one.

I am planning on mailing this off to Belgium on Wednesday.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Journal Entry 10 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Monday, August 07, 2006
This book showed up at my parent's house at the end of last week and I've picked it up this weekend. I'm looking forward to reading this, after seeing those positive comments. It'll be next on my 'to-be-read-list'. :-)

Thanks for sending it along Karenlea and it's a cute bookmark indeed!

Journal Entry 11 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Sunday, August 13, 2006
I've just finished this book today and it's a pity that there weren't more pages. I have to agree with the other readers... this book was wonderful to read. And even more because it's a true story. I loved the way of writing, the humor... the serious parts were very touching.

Thanks for sharing indygo88! This book will be traveling to BettyBoekwurm, in Portugal, tomorrow!

** Oops, only sent out today the 16th, as the postoffice was closed on Monday and Tuesday! **

Journal Entry 12 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, August 21, 2006
(I'm interjecting my comments because I just finished reading my other copy of this!)

I for one really enjoyed James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces", regardless of how much of it was truthful. I found it an engrossing and interesting read. This book is similar, and yet very different, and I liked it very much as well. It didn't seem to have the *anger* that Frey's book had. I thought this was quite different than "Running With Scissors" with a much more serious underlying tone, yet as the other readers have said, Burroughs does an excellent job of interjecting humor at the appropriate times. I have thus far enjoyed Burrough's works a lot and I want to read the others. I love his writing style and it makes me really wish I could meet him personally.

Journal Entry 13 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Just arrived! I'm really looking forward to it, since I loved Running with Scissors! I have one book to finish and this one will be next.

Thanks indygo88 and whitehorsy!

Journal Entry 14 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, September 01, 2006
I finished this last night after not being able to put the book down at all. I just couldn't stop reading. (Of course this morning when I looked in the mirror, I just chose to ignore the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep...)

It takes you through so many feelings, and has such an honest touch to it that you feel like you know this person. I remember that after reading "Running with Scissors" I felt this same mixture of feelings for all the things that happen. And while I was reading "Dry", it was like hearing an old friend telling us what's happened since we last saw him. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the main word is honesty. It's just an honest book, written in an honest voice. Fantastic. I'm now curious to read some more of his books.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be mailing this out to bestfriends on Monday morning.

Sent on the 6th September

Journal Entry 15 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, September 09, 2006
In my mailbox today! Good timing, as I just finished reading a ringbook last night and I have no others waiting. Can't wait to start reading for I loved "Running with Scissors". Thanks for sending and sharing.

added: Just saw the bookmark. Don't know who put it in there, but I will try to keep it with the book and send it on, it's lovely!

Noticed that Hellie is next on the list, so I started to ask for her address as of today, as she is always very hard to contact.

11th September: Hellie asked to be skipped for the moment.

14th September: Finished reading yesterday and enjoyed to get to know what became of the young Augusten in "Running with Scissors".

A humorous, sometimes hilarious very honest and moving memoir! (sorry, must have already been said above, but can't think of a better description).

I've got concertina8's address and will send it on today. (surfacemail)

Released 14 yrs ago (9/14/2006 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sorry, forgot to pack the lovely (Walter Sickers quote) bookmark with the book. Thanks to whoever included it. Will give it a good home until I send it on!

Journal Entry 17 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 14, 2006
(Just wanted to throw in a link for those of you who are interested and may not have seen it. Thank you to bestfriends for passing this along! It's an Amazon video clip of a recent Augusten Burroughs interview w/ Bill Maher, as well as a preview to the "Running With Scissors" movie. You can't help but love the guy!!!)

Augusten Burroughs interview

Journal Entry 18 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Monday, September 18, 2006
landed in my mailbox today. will start asap.

Journal Entry 19 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Wednesday, September 27, 2006
this is a great read! very sad at times but hilarious, as well. i'm not one to tear up easily but it's not that hard to get a laugh out of me. and laugh i did! it probably does help if you read "running with scissors" before, though. i did. :-)

thx for sharing.

trying to get a hold of the next participant. no luck so far (second pm sent).

Released 13 yrs ago (10/12/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

so sorry it took me this long to send it on. the book is on the move again.

Journal Entry 21 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, November 06, 2006
Arrived safely - along with 3 other bookrings (typical...lol). I will read ASAP - otherwise I will forward on to next reader if I can't get to it soon. Thanks indygo88 & concertina8.

16/12/2006 - Unfortunately I have had this one too long already and not been able to read it yet - too many bookrings so will have to send it travelling, I'm sure another copy will come my way one day. Having trouble getting -bodhi- via PM's so have put ISO on forums, otherwise will have to PM next in line. Thanks to indygo88 and concertina8 for sending it my way. Hugs :o)

Journal Entry 22 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Finally on it's way to -Bodhi- (after numberous failed PM's...lol). Enjoy the bookring and Merry Christmas. Hugs.

Journal Entry 23 by -Bodhi- from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Arrived safely today despite an unpredictable PMing system! Thanks froggirlwendy for your perserverance, Christmas card & postcard (complete with yummy treats!)

Journal Entry 24 by -Bodhi- from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 28, 2006
I was surprised when I enjoyed this book. I read Magical Thinking earlier on in the year and was not that impressed. I could't get past his incredible selfish callousness. In this book it seems he was making a gargantuan effort to begin dealing with what had scarred him so badly. I think I have read things out of order though as I haven't yet read Running with Scissors and I understand that this is the account of his bizzare childhood.

Anyhoo, I like his matter of fact style and sharp wit. Like indygo88 I also really enjoyed James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces", the books have their similarities for sure but I actually prefer Burroughs writing style...it seems more direct and personal.

Will PM tantan who is next in line but there may be some delays due to the season.

Journal Entry 25 by -Bodhi- from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 11, 2007
Mailed out to tantan today :)

Journal Entry 26 by tantan from Montréal, Québec Canada on Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Received from -Bodhi- - many thanks! I've just finished Running With Scissors, so I'll pop a quick read in before this one so I don't get Augusten-Burroughs-overload.

***

Edit February 2nd, 2007: I started this one last night - hopefully it'll be a quick read.

Journal Entry 27 by tantan from Montréal, Québec Canada on Tuesday, February 20, 2007
This was a bit of a slow read for me, but it finally clicked about a week ago and I made it to the end! What put me off right at the start was this little 'Author's Note' that I noticed on the copyright page:

This memoir is based on my experiences over a ten-year period. Names have been changed, characters combined, and events compressed. Certain episodes are imaginative re-creation, and those episodes are not intended to portray actual events.

Hmmmmm... I thought to myself... How am I supposed to read this as a 'memoir' when some of what's in it isn't necessarily true, and I'm never told what's 'imaginative re-creation', and what actually really happened?

Anyway, as I said it did eventually click with me, and I did enjoy the read, but I'm taking it with a very, very large grain of salt. :-)

Sorry I had the book for so long. It'll be heading off to miss-gonewest as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 28 by tantan from Montréal, Québec Canada on Wednesday, March 21, 2007
My apologies again for having this book for so long. It is finally heading on its way, and will be popped in a post box first thing in the morning.

Journal Entry 29 by miss-gonewest from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, April 02, 2007
This book was waiting in my mailbox last night - many thanks for sending it along.

I actually managed a few pages on the bus this morning and it's interesting already.

I've also just recently watched the movie "Running with Scissors" (I prefered the book) so I'm interested in how I feel about the next chapter in his life.

I'll be back with my thoughts soon....

Journal Entry 30 by miss-gonewest from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I just loved this book – I couldn’t put it down, I just wanted to get through it as quickly as possible to see what happened to poor Augusten…. And I actually did begin to feel sorry for him in this novel. I think I found myself angry rather than sad in “Running With Scissors” whereas with this book while he meant so, so well, he just got everything so wrong.

And I loved him for being so open and candid about his mistakes – it takes a big person to admit such hardcore failings and such self destruction. I found this book gave me more insight into the real person – a more mature, believable person – than his other book and I loved him for it.

And I think some of my questions were answered (ie. What on earth happened to his mother? How did he ever forgive his parents for what they did to him?) and I feel so much better about him and his life.

Thank you all for getting this book to me and solving the riddles – and for allowing me such a good read! I will PM next in line to get their details…

Update 17th April - I have Sudokugirl's address and will get along to the post office this week with "Dry".

Journal Entry 31 by miss-gonewest at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (6/6/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Oh my, I’ve just found this book in the bottom of a bag, that was tucked inside another bag, under my desk at work! If you could see under my desk at work, you’d realise it’s a miracle this book was ever found!

I’ve taken it to the post office already and it’s been sent via super speedy air mail to Bosnia right now!

The trusty clerk in the PO has assured me that it will take 6 – 8 days to arrive. Yay.

So, so, so sorry for the hold-up!

Journal Entry 32 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Arrived safely this morning. Can't wait to start it. Thanks to miss-gonewest for such speedy shipping.

Journal Entry 33 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Sunday, June 17, 2007
I've read and enjoyed all of Augusten Burroughs's books, but this one must be my favourite. I don't think there's any need for a review, since it would more or less be a repetition of dittybopper's entry :)

Big thanks to indygo88 for sharing. The book will continue its journey as soon as I obtain an address from Withoutwings (no replies so far).

Released 13 yrs ago (6/25/2007 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent to Brewster13.

Journal Entry 35 by brewster13 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 19, 2007
This was sitting in my mailbox when I returned from vaca. I'm still working on finishing up The Cider House Rules (next day or two) and will get to this one.
Thanks for sharing!!

I started reading this on July 19 ... so far so good and I hope to finish it up in the next week or so.

Journal Entry 36 by brewster13 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 23, 2007
I quite enjoyed this memoir. It wasn't nearly as outrageous as Running with Scissors (thankfully, for Augusten's sake!), but it was just as brutally honest. I read Frey's A Million Little Pieces last month, which at first seemed unfortunate as I was concerned I'd be overloaded with alcoholism, but that wasn't the case. Augusten's experiences were different, and perhaps he was more honest in his telling of them (?). In any case, the story of Augusten's struggles with sobriety was compelling (sobering, as it were), and I hope that he found much needed peace in his retelling of such an awful period of his life.

Thanks for sharing. I will be sending this off to valerief the day it gets cool enough that I care to venture out of doors again (a low front is expected to move in over the next day or two).

Journal Entry 37 by brewster13 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Mailed to valerief today - airmail so should arrive shortly. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 38 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Not sure if any of you are interested in this, but as most of you enjoyed this book, I thought you might also be interested in a newly released book by Augusten's brother, John Elder Robison, entitled "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's". Here's a Borders link to an interview between John & Augusten about the book. I'm going to add it to my wishlist!

P.S. -- Also trying to track down the exact whereabouts of the book for this bookray, as it seems to currently be MIA...... :-(

Journal Entry 39 by valerief from Queens, New York USA on Thursday, October 25, 2007
This was waiting for me in my mail pile. Just read Running With Scissors in June, so looking forward to the followup. I'll devise a clever place to release it. Thanks!

Picking up somewhat after Running With Scissors left off, I felt very sympathetic to his struggle and cheered for him when he managed to avoid relapses. Compared with Running With Scissors, I felt that this was a little more believable, albeit more depressing since most of the anguish was self-inflicted or indirectly resulting from his alcohol and drug abuse. Some of the therapy tactics used do sound corny when he first describes them, but over time I felt that Burroughs really believes in them. Having no personal experience with this, this could be inspirational to someone seeking to rid themselves of demons or encouraging for those already on the road to recovery.

Mailed to a friend as a Xmas surprise...