Marley & Me : Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

by John Grisham | Humor |
Registered by collectorkerri of Springfield, Illinois USA on 5/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Wednesday, May 03, 2006
I'm an editor at a trade publication that covers the pet industry. Sometimes we get to take home the books that are submitted for review. I snapped this one up because I have been wanting to read it for a long time.

Journal Entry 2 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Friday, August 18, 2006
My first 10 rating on a book. I loved this book and laughed out loud at some of Marley's antics. He obviously was a special dog for the author's family and never will be equaled in their hearts. A must-read for anyone who has ever had a special dog.

Sending to mellion108 for a book relay.

Journal Entry 3 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, August 26, 2006
The book is here in Michigan. Thanks so much for sharing this, collectorkerri! I fell in love with the cover of this book because Marley's pic on the front looks so much like my wonderful, sweet, insane, and the-world's-greatest-dog-ever George, who died of cancer almost 2 years ago.

This is moving straight to the front of Mt. TBR. Thank you!
Hardcover, 291 pages

From the dust jacket:
John and Jenny were just begining their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good—Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.

Journal Entry 4 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, April 08, 2007
I laughed hysterically through much of this book. The chapter called "Things He Ate" is one of the funniest things I've ever read. My beloved dog, George, was a big, goofy, not-so-bright, loyal, sweet-natured ball of joy, and she used to do much of the same things Marley did (but not nearly to the same extent).

If you've ever had a dog come into your life and become a part of your family, I think you can really relate to this book. Yes, I laughed quite a bit, but I also needed a box of tissue to get through some of the chapters. I started the book yesterday evening and finished it this morning while the snow fell. I couldn't put the book down! I highly recommend it.

Thanks again for sharing this, collectorkerri. I'll now make it available for another lucky reader.

Journal Entry 5 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, April 22, 2007
Sending this along to Guinneth from her wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, April 26, 2007
Oh, what a lovely surprise!! Thank you SO much - I've been wanting to read this forever. It looks wonderful, and I'm sure I'll need the kleenex, too.

Journal Entry 7 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
What a wonderful book this was! Thank you so, so much for sending it my way, mel. I laughed, I cried, I *SO* miss having a dog! I think my favorite part was the outdoor dining table incident. Couldn't you just see what was coming? Marley was truly a great dog, and boy did it made me cry when John told him so. An unforgettable story, and I'm very grateful to have read it.

Thank God people like John & Jenny Grogan exist to love and care for the goof dogs of the world.

Journal Entry 8 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 24, 2007
INTERNATIONAL BOOKRAY

Please journal when you receive it and when you send it to the next person, and of course be SURE to journal your thoughts once you've read it.

I hope this stays moving for a long while, but if you find yourself the last person on the list please find something appropriate to do with it: share it with a friend or fellow BCer, start a ring or a new ray, or just give it a good home. Whatever you do, please just make a journal entry to let me know what your plans are. Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I did.

Participants:

elessedil (SC) (US ONLY) -on its way here
Firegirl (AZ)
Quinsmomma (NJ)
sweetybeans (OR) (prefers US)
piggydiva (KS) (US only)
Jengif (VA)
boirina (Portugal) (Europe only)
BOKWORMY (Portugal)
BettyBoekwurm (Portugal) (prefers Europe)
madmadge (UK)
Rivercassini (UK)
PRCS (Canada) (wants to be last)

Journal Entry 9 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Mailed off to elessedil today.