English Teacher, The

by R.K. Narayan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingKatisha50wing of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 5/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Different cover.

"English teacher Krishna has recently married, but his wife and daughter live miles away. The story begins with his immediate family deciding to join him. Krishna is initially frightened by this new state of affairs, but soon finds that his love for both his wife and child grows deeper than he could have imagined."

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 15, 2006
One of many amoung the huge pile of surprises my lovely bookcrossing friends collected for my bithday. Thank you so much, looks like a great read!!

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 03, 2007
Well I have finally got around to reading this (I have no idea why it has taken me so long) and I am very glad that I have, it is a wondeful book. Poignant, and moving, the deceptively simple story of Krishna, his wife Susila and their young daughter. Th English Teacher is about more than that however, it is also a detailed examination of family life, and of grief.

Thanks for giving me this lovely book Gill, I am so glad I have had a chance to read it : ) It will be released at some point, as I would like to hear what others think of it, but I could always get a pc copy at a later date : )

ok so a ring seems have started : )

Lyzzybee - Birmingham UK (UK)
Katisha50 - Birmingham UK (UK)
cross-patch - Leicester -UK (UK)
Jinglefish - Surrey - UK (Int'l surface)
wyjane - warwickshire - UK (UK)
purpleRosebud - Hampshire - UK (anywhere)
Fflloor - Lisboa - Portugal - (Eur)
QueenSissi - Portugal - (anywhere) - it's here
Lesezeichen - Germany -(anywhere)

Back to me Heaven-Ali

Released 12 yrs ago (3/17/2007 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser in by hand, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Passing to Liz later.

Journal Entry 5 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2007
Received yesterday from Ali. Will try to get it read by Saturday so I can give it to katisha50 at the meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 21, 2007
A strange, meditative, poignant little book. I hadn't realised it was the sequel to Swami and Friends and The Bachelor of Arts, which made it all the more poignant. The usual Narayan features of the hapless narrator, capable women, a cast of secondary characters with various and unusual characters was supplemented by a supernatural - or is it? - element which was interesting.

Glad I got to read this.

Giving to Katisha50 this afternoon.

Giving to Katisha50 this afternoon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Yes, LyzzyBee did give it to me and had to nudge me days later to make this JE! It's next up.

Journal Entry 10 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I enjoyed this book, on the whole. I loved the first part, particularly the writing style, up to the life-changing event which I won't reveal. The style then changed, and I found it more difficult to read although the content was fascinating.

Will send it on to crosspatch when I get an address.

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 04, 2007
It's here now. I'll read it as soon as possible. Thank you Birmingham.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 22, 2007
I'm not sure what I think. I most agree with Katisha50's comments. I kept looking for an ugly twist during the 'contact with the dead' episode and the similarly odd interaction with the headmaster character. I think I missed some clever point, or did I? But, I did like the narrative style and felt greatly enlightened by the clear representation of Krishna's world and sensibilities.

I have Jinglefish's address and shall send it on in the morning.

Journal Entry 13 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, November 24, 2007
Many thanks Cross-patch this arrived safely this morning. I have one book to finish and will then be straight into this.

Journal Entry 14 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, December 22, 2007
Finished at last - apologies for taking rather longer than I usually do but December is always a very busy month! I think all previous journal entries reflect what I felt about this book too. Beautifully written, this is a moving story.

********SPOILER ALERT***********

I loved the personalities of all the characters from the doting grandmother to the deemanding Leela asking for dolls and sweets all the time! I too also felt that there would be a nasty twist coming once Krishna explored the possibilities of communicating with Susila through the medium and eventually directly due to his vulnerability and desperation to seek solace in some form. I was expecting some sort of horrible fraud at his expense to shatter his world instead of the beautiful ending we enjoyed. In the last few pages when Leela had gone to stay with her grandmother and her future was secure I did wonder if Krishna would even go as far as to commit suicide in order to cross over.

Am PMing wyjane now for an address. Many thanks to Heaven Ali for the opportunity of reading this.

Journal Entry 15 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Posted today to wyjane.

Journal Entry 16 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2008
arrived yesterday, thanks jinglefish.

Journal Entry 17 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 14, 2008
I loved the writing in this book which surprised me because sometimes I find Indian books difficult to read. I haven't read the first two books and probably won't search them out as I think this was the more interesting part of Krishna's story. I got a bit irritated by Krishna's desperation to contact his dead wife and also thought he might commit suicide to 'join' her but I thought the ending well worth getting to, though more the moving on in his actual life than the final ending.

have contacted purplerosebud to send it on

Journal Entry 18 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 21, 2008
Many thanks, arrived in the post today. I have a couple of bookrings but I will start on this one asap.

Journal Entry 19 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
What an unusual book. Only 180 pages so quite a quick read. I enjoyed the first half but found it slowed down quite a bit when Susila became ill. I wasn't sure about the second half but I felt it picked up again towards the end and I did like the ending.

Thanks for sharing. I have the address of the next on list so I will be sending it off in a couple of days.

Journal Entry 20 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, April 07, 2008
It arrived today. Thanks purplerosebud for sending the book.
I'll read it asap.

Journal Entry 21 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, June 17, 2008
It seems I'm the only one who didn't enjoy this book :-(

Sent today to QueenSissi.

Journal Entry 22 by QueenSissi from Queluz, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, June 30, 2008
Arrived today! Thanks Fflloor and Heaven-Ali.

Journal Entry 23 by QueenSissi from Queluz, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, November 02, 2008
Sorry for taking so long. Like flooorr I didn't enjoy it so much. Maybe I was expecting other kind of story. however reding it has enriched me so I don't regret it.

Sending it to Lesezeichen.

Journal Entry 24 by lesezeichen from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, November 14, 2008
Well received, thanks to everyone!