Catfantastic II (Daw Book Collectors)

Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 7/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, July 28, 2006
Picked this up at the Book Thing.

From the cover -
A YOWL SHATTERS THE SILENCE OF THE NIGHT -
It is a call to battle, a warning of danger, or the greeting of a fellow prowler stalking through the darkness, heading for a rendezvous with adventure in one of the magic places - those mysterious realms undetectable by mere humans. Tonight the cats are gathering to tell their tales, of times past or yet to come, of the two-legged beings they have adopted as their own special pets.
So let us join them now, and if we are very quiet, as silent as a cat on the scent of likely prey, we may be privilaeged to learn some long-kept secrets of the feline kind. Listen now, the stories begin, legends of such mighty warriors as: Bomber, the ship's cat out for revenge on the German warship, the Bismark; Graywhiskers, who ruled his kingdom with a unique weapon of his own creation; Bat and Punkin, who had patiently lived out several lives while waiting to find the only humans worthy of being theirs; Hermione, who as familiar to an astronomer would have to guard him not from falling stars but from the unexpected dangers lurking in his very own home...

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
I don't read a lot of fantasy, but had read the first Catfantastic book and enjoyed it so when I found this one I wanted to try it as well. Most of the stories in here were ok, just not great (to me). They varied from the sword and sorcerer's type (Arthur fantasy) to more mundane type of creepy, slightly horror stories. Some I especially enjoyed were Andre Norton's story Hob's Pot and Critical Cats by Susan Shwartz.

This will soon be going into my Cat Stories bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at MaryZee's Cat Stories bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/24/2012 UTC) at MaryZee's Cat Stories bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out in my Cat Stories bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 30, 2012
I love fantasy and short stories (and cats, of course!) so I'm taking this from the Cat Stories bookbox.

Later: A decent collection, with some entertaining stories that I hadn't encountered before. Among my favorites:

"Bomber and the Bismarck" by Clare Bell, in which a cat seems to have a mystic connection to the great German battleship, a connection that's of great assistance to the British forces hunting it down.

"The Last Gift" by Elizabeth H. Boyer features Norse mythology, with an interesting spin on the human-sacrifice concept - and a really charming cat-origin story!

"Papercut Luck" by Patricia B. Cirone has an Oriental setting, and features a cat rescuing a terrified young girl and her family from soldiers.

"Shado" by Marylois Dunn has a medieval setting, and deals with cats going about their own business rather than coming to the aid of humans; some serious perils here, and a heart-warming result.

"In Bastet's Service" by P. M. Griffin is a tale about cats being reincarnated in hopes of finding better lives - with the human character losing a beloved pet and fearing to get too attached to another cat only to lose it. Bittersweet and hopeful, this one.

"Quest of Souls" has a young apprentice and a cat familiar going to the rescue of their master's kidnapped soul; "Ede's Earrings" has a romantic tone, with another magician being tempted by someone whom his cat-familiar knows to be Not Very Nice - some charming twists here; "The Queen's Cat's Tale" deals with the Guinevere/Launcelot story from a cat's point of view; and Nancy Springer's "In Carnation" has an ancient deity take form as a cat, meeting an old flame in another new form on a carnival midway.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Lobster Dock in Boothbay Harbor, Maine USA on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/11/2012 UTC) at Lobster Dock in Boothbay Harbor, Maine USA

I left this book propped up on a window ledge inside the Lobster Dock at around 4:30 or so, while stopping by to enjoy some of their famous (and excellent!) crab cakes with friends. Hope the finder enjoys the book!