The Rice Mother

by Rani Manicka | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142004545 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 4/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 27, 2006
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 04, 2009
This book is about four generations of a family in Malaysia. Lakshmi, from Ceylon, is duped into marrying Ayah. He portrays himself as a wealthy man. But everything is an illusion even down to the borrowed gold watch. Ayah is a civil servant who while kindly and loving is a plodding unintelligent man. Lakshmi has 6 children by the time she is nineteen. She makes friends with the Chinese servant girl next door, Mui Tsai. Mui is forced to have sex with her master and each child is given to a different wife.

This story weaves a tale during the Japanese occupation and beyond. As weak as Ayah is, Lakshmi is a strong and formidable matriarch. Her first two children are twins, Lakshmnan and Mohini. Lakshmi must keep Mohini save from the Japanese and the torture they will submit Mokini to if they find her. There is tradegy upon tradegy and she faces each challenge and keeps on going.

The prose in the book is absolutely amazing. The description of the Japanese occupation is hideous. The culture, pre-war and after is described. Children with beauty and lightness of skin colour are highly valued.

The story is told from the viewpoint of each of the characters. I found this story very compelling. So compelling, I just could not put the book down.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 04, 2009
I will be putting this in my birthday partner's package, as it is on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Mailed today to my birthday partner!

Journal Entry 5 by rootmartin from Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
I am so appalled because it appears that I didn't register this book when I received it. I'm so sorry!!!!!

Thanks so much, hoserlauren, for granting me a wish list book. :)