The Mercy of Thin Air : A Novel

by Ronlyn Domingue | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Lynden, Washington USA on 4/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Thursday, April 27, 2006
From Publishers Weekly
A gothically tinged historical take on The Lovely Bones, this debut novel manages to carve out some of its own territory. In late 1920s New Orleans, Raziela "Razi" Nolan carries on a passionate college love affair with Andrew O'Connell (while planning to be a gynecologist). She desires immortality ("One lifetime isn't enough to make all the trouble of which I'm capable") and gets her wish when she slips poolside, dies and finds herself in a state "between life and whatever comes next" in which she may observe the world she's left behind and even meddle mildly. As she learns the rules of "the between" Razi finds it too painful to keep track of Andrew. But 70 years after her death in 1929, she is curious to know what happened to her beloved and is drawn to a young couple, Amy Richmond and Scott Duncan. Domingue captures the equally repressive and uninhibited culture of 1920s America, creates a convincing world of "the between," and gives nice shape to the loving but troubled relationship of Amy and Scott as Razi uncovers her connection to them. The novel lacks a fully distinctive voice, but is certainly several cuts above the genre mysteries and historicals it most resembles.

**Duplicate picked up at B&N's discount table.

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Just finished this book - pretty good read - different - first book for this author - I'd certainly be on the lookout for future books! I think she has a fresh new outlook! Beautiful story really. I'm sending this book on to Ri who won it in my Summer RABCK Draw - ENJOY! I look forward to reading what you think of it!

Journal Entry 3 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Mailing June 8 to Ri

Journal Entry 4 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, June 16, 2006
Woo hoo! This was the first piece of mail I received at my new apartment! What a great welcome gift!! Thanks, Rosie!

Journal Entry 5 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Loved this one! It is sort of like The Lovely Bones, but even more compelling, I think. This has been passed on to Nou who is preparing a bookbox for orsie who will then deliver the book to Hoser who got the book in a swap. Whew!

Journal Entry 6 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, September 06, 2007
This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY today. I'll pass it along to Hoserlauren next time I see her.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 10, 2007
Got this from a swap and it looks great!!

Thanks Ri & Morsie :)

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Razi died at the height of her life in the 1920s. She had an admission to a good college (a rare thing for a woman in this time) and had found the man that she loved. After she passes, she stays in the human world and guides spirits. There are some basic rules to living with humans. They include not staying with those that you love and not touching anything. We slowly learn more about Razi's past, while we learn about the couple she's living with: Amy and Scott.

The two story lines intermingle and there are parallels between them. It's apparent that there's something more that the author isn't revealing and as you slowly learn more about Amy and Razi, you learn where the connection is.

This book has some similarities to The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold in that the narration is told from a dead character's point of view. It also grabs you the same way The Lovely Bones does, but is a bit confusing at the beginning while you try to determine who the narration is coming from. The weaving of the stories makes for a very interesting read. I will definitely be on the lookout for other books by Domingue.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 01, 2009
This book is with me now!!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 10, 2009
Raziela Nolan dies at a very young age and is caught between. She can not 'follow' her loved ones, instead she watches Amy and Scott. Amy has bought a bookcase that once belonged to Raz's boyfriend. The story interweaves the stories of Amy and Scott with Raz's own story.

Raz is in her senior year at Tulane in the 1920's when she dies. She has been brought up in a very forthright manner. Her mother was a suffragette. She is involved in supplying birth control to women(an illegal activity). Raz hopes to be admitted to medical school in the fall. This causes some discord with her boyfriend(Andrew) as he wishes to marry her not have a long distance relationship.

Amy is having difficulties coping with the death of her fiancee. She must come to terms with her grief and her love for Scott.

The concept for this book was different. The stories were well told and I loved the twist at the end. The story grabs you as you want to know what happens and what happened.

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Mailed today to my birthday partner!