The Enchantment of Lily Dahl: A Novel

by Siri Hustvedt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Flashgirl of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 12/7/2002
Journal Entry 1 by Flashgirl from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, December 07, 2002
Signed by the author, "For Mary Kay Watson." Thanks Mary Kay, whoever you are!

Picked up used, haven't read yet.

Some comments from Amazon.com:
"... beginning as a love story (or an erotic novel, take your pick), then a coming-of-age novel, then a sort of fairy-tale, then a murder mystery, then... I don't know what.
The Enchantment is a wonderful book with all kinds of elements in it that make it strange and engaging and beautiful. Lily Dahl is a wonderful character, and I found myself wanting to read about what happens to her after the end of the book."

Journal Entry 2 by Flashgirl from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2003
While it's waiting its turn to be read, I am sending this book out on a little adventure of its own.

BookRing Guidelines If someone offers to mail you the book, but you are too busy to read it in a timely manner, that's OK. Just let me know and I will move you down on the list. If you are ready to mail but you get no response from the next person on the list, skip them and mail to the next person.

Participants:
6. jenvince (CA, USA)
7. Seferim (MD, USA)

And then back to me:
8. Flashgirl (MN, USA)

Journal Entry 3 by quorcester from Chicopee, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 18, 2003
I just got this in the mail today (thanks for putting me first on this bookring, flashgirl!), along with a couple of other BC books. This is going on my TBR list (don't worry, it's a short list!!) -- I'll probably be able to start it Saturday or Sunday. I'm looking forward to reading it; it sounds like an awesome read.

Oh, and thanks, flashgirl, for the bookmark! It made me smile. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by quorcester from Chicopee, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003
I just finished this book. I'm not really sure how I liked it, or even if I did or not. It took a while for me to get into the characters, and I don't think I ever really did get into the characters. I think I got into the story itself, and that's what propelled my reading. Quite the peculiar story (I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't read it yet, so pardon my vagueness). Many times I had the feeling that Hustvedt was just trying to be artsy and clever, which kind of bugged me (if she succeeded with her artsy cleverness I would've been happy, but unsuccessful arsty cleverness is just plain annoying). For a while there I was wondering if I should just dismiss it, but I saw on the back cover that David Foster Wallace (whose works I absolutely love) rather liked her first novel -- that encouraged me to continue this book and give Hustvedt the benefit of doubt. But, I don't know...it was sparsely written, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I remember a creative writing class I took during my second year of college; the lecturer kept reminding us to "show the story, don't tell the story". Throughout this book, I had the impression that Hustvedt was just telling me the story instead of showing me the story. And that left me feeling a bit dissatisfied with the whole thing. But this wasn't a bad novel, not at all, just...a little empty, I guess is the best way to describe it. I do hope the rest of the ring see more into this book than I did! :-) But thank you flashgirl, once again, for starting this ring -- I would never have picked up this book on my own, and being introduced to new authors is always a good thing, no matter whether or not I end up liking them. :-)

I'll send this on once I get weeblet's address.

Journal Entry 5 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 01, 2003
got it! thank you for the speedy hand off <:
i got it yesterday afternoon, paused what i was reading, and started it last night. so far, i am really enjoying the broad range of characters (in every sense of the word...). judging by how quickly i am moving through it, i should have lily on her way apace <:
Aline

Journal Entry 6 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Thursday, October 02, 2003
i really liked this book <: the simple way it was put forth really added to my enjoyment. the characters were, if not merely interesting, likeable. the ending wasn't really what i expected, however. i would like to read more of lily's adventures as well <:
thanks for sharing this, flashgirl!

Journal Entry 7 by weeblet at on Thursday, October 02, 2003
Release planned for Friday, October 03, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Journal Entry 8 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 07, 2003
Received in the mail yesterday-- wow, two of Flashgirl's bookrings at my house at once! Gotta keep reading "The Dress Lodger" first, and then I'll get to this intriguing novel as soon as I'm done. The first page already has me hooked... :)

Journal Entry 9 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2003
I'd have to agree with most of quorcester's comments about this book-- it just seemed rather empty. Most of the characters were likeable enough, but the story just seemed to jump around, and even progress in a way that made me think, "Oooh, I wonder where this will go?" and then the point was lost and buried under a new scenario. I felt that most of the hints and secrets that you felt would be answered, never were. It just felt...empty.

I also agree that the story seemed like it was trying to be so clever that it lost itself, and got tangled up in too much faux clever-ness. Again, it wasn't bad, it just didn't lure me in (especially having just finished 'The Dress Lodger' right before I started this one!)

Off to blacksheeps99 it goes-- over the ocean to Austria!

Journal Entry 10 by blacksheeps99 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, December 13, 2003
Received the book yesterday. Thanks a lot!!!

Will start reading it today.

Journal Entry 11 by blacksheeps99 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, January 07, 2004
First of all I have to say "Sorry!" for keeping this book such a long time - but it was really hard for me to read.

I didn´t get the characters and was always confused about the story. The book has that unaccomplished, don't-quite-know-where-I'm-going-with-this feel about it. Hustvedt does write interestingly of the small town, Webster, and manages to create some original side characters, but the ultimate failing in this novel is Lily Dahl herself. A
novel's main character doesn't have to necessarily be likeable, but I think she should elicit some sort of response from the reader and, unfortunately, Lily Dahl left me completely confused.

Will be on its way to Germany as soon as possibe!

Update 10.01.04: Sent yesterday!

Journal Entry 12 by Caracas from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, January 16, 2004
"The Enchantment of Lily Dahl" arrived yesterday. Thanks a lot, Flashgirl!
I`ll probably start reading it this weekend. I`m really interested in what it`s all about...
Already heard so much about Siri Hustvedt.

A very interesting and amazing book. I really loved it. Siri Hustvedt tells the story about that little town called Webster & the people who can`t live without their essential, daily gossip. She managed it to create an astonishing second novel about Lily Dahl`s coming-of-age. I liked the development in the relationship between Lily and Mabel, and so with Lily and Martin. Other parts of the story could have been more elaborate.
Nevertheless the ending is very relieving.

The Enchantment goes now over the ocean again to jenvince.

Journal Entry 13 by Caracas at on Friday, February 20, 2004
Release planned for Saturday, February 21, 2004 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 14 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Monday, March 01, 2004
This book arrived Saturday. Thank you! I look forward to reading it. Have one to read before I can get to this, but will read quickly and send on to Seferim.

Journal Entry 15 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Monday, March 08, 2004
I thought this book started out well, but then started getting a little confusing.

Am mailing 3/8/04 to the next person.

Journal Entry 16 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 10, 2004
Received today and will start as soon as I can--thanks!

MARCH 16th update:

Like many of the other readers, I liked the first part, but after page 100 or so, things became confusing and muddled. I kept reading, even though I did not understand exactly what was happening. Like Caracas mentioned above, my favorite part of the book was how Lily and Mabel's relationship grew, as well as Lily and Martin's. The ending was not at all what I expected.

Thank you to Flashgirl for starting this bookring. Will mail back to her this week.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, April 05, 2004
Flashgirl passed me the book in our office--we both work at the Minnesota Women's Press.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, April 05, 2004

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, April 12, 2004
Some parts of the book are a little amateurish, especially the dialogue. The plot however is gripping, and I was unsure of what would happen next until the very last page. The protagonist is interesting, and it's nice to see young sassy women in print. Overall a good read.

Journal Entry 20 by Flashgirl from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, April 12, 2004
Finally, my turn! I must say I am interested to see what this book will be like, after all the mixed reviews I have read.

Journal Entry 21 by Flashgirl from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, October 29, 2005
My coworker Kathy just finished the newest book by this author, which she said was terrific. I loaned this to her, and she said it was good, but not as good. I am passing this one on without reading it and adding "What I Loved" to my wishlist.

Released 14 yrs ago (10/28/2005 UTC) at Precision Grind Coffee House (E. Franklin Ave & 23rd) in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA