The Favored Child : A Novel

by Philippa Gregory | Romance |
Registered by wingthegoaliegirlwing of Vancouver, Washington USA on 4/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Thursday, April 27, 2006
The Wideacre estate is bankrupt. The villagers are living in poverty and Wideacre Hall is a smoke-blackened ruin. But, in the Dower House, two children are being raised in protected innocence.

Equal claimants to the estate, rivals for the love of the village, they are tied by a secret childhood betrothal but forbidden to marry. Only one can be the favored child. Only one can inherit the magical understanding between the land and the Lacey family that can make the Sussex village grow green again. Only one can be Beatrice Lacey's true heir.

Sensual, gripping, sometimes mystical, The Favored Child sweeps the reader irresistibly into the eighteenth century, a revolutionary period in English history. This rich and dramatic novel continues the saga of the Lacey family started in Philippa Gregory's bestselling and enduringly popular Wideacre.

Journal Entry 2 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, September 25, 2006
Would like to turn this book into a book ray. I somehow ended up buying two copies of this book, so I'd like to turn this one into a bookray, so it can travel around while I'm at home, unable to travel.

To help ensure that things run smoothly (or that is the plan anyhow), I've put together a few rough guidelines for this one. I know that some people take longer to read a book (busy, got a bunch of books to read before, work, etc)...

1. Please try to have this book read within 3 weeks. I know this isn't always possible, but if you make an effort to try that is all I can ask.

2. Please journal when you receive the book.

3. When about halfway through, please contact the next person on the list for their mailing address.

4. Please journal again when you've read the book and it is on its way.

5. Have fun! Reading is supposed to be fun!

6. To the last person in the ray: Please keep this book moving... RABCK it, give it to a friend, etc... just please keep it moving once you're done reading it. Thanks!

Sending order:
longfordmaine-UK
Cross-patch-UK (UK)
Twynnie-UK
sudokugirl-Bosnia and Herzegovina (Inter) <---- book is here

If interested, please PM with your location and shipping preferences. I'll PM back. If you don't hear from me after a few days, then I didn't get your PM. My computer isn't set up yet due to lack of space in my current location, so I have to check my email at work. If you don't hear from me right away, please be patient. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Mailed to AngelUnKnown today to start this ray off. Sent via media mail.

Journal Entry 4 by AngelUnKnown from Whitewater, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007
Had the book. Didn't get to read it for a while. Read it in between my good classes and then during my bad ones. Finally finished it. Loved it. Had to go buy Meridon. Passed it on.

Journal Entry 5 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Friday, March 30, 2007
yeah! i started this one last night :) very excited to see how the lacey family legacy continues

Journal Entry 6 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Saturday, April 07, 2007
i was a little aprehensive at first about reading this book. i always love phillipa gregory books, but had thought the first one in this series(wideacre) was just not as good as her others. HOWEVER, i i could not put the favored child down. i liked it so much better. it was fascinating how julia loved the land like beatrice, but seemed more stable like her father (less insane?). i was almost sorry for julia that she didn't have more of a happy ending, but i suppose that is part of the lacey curse. i couldn't put it down last night and stayed up to one in the morning. Can't wait to find out what happens in the third book....

thanks for sharing thegoaliegirl

4/10 - waiting on response to send out still :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
received in the mail today :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
The Favored Child is the second book in the Wideacre series. The estate is bankrupt and two children are now squires of the estate.

Julia is the lover of land and nature. Richard is the male heir. They are being raised by Julia's mother while Richard's father is in India earning back his fortune. The money is to be used to start up Wideacre anew; new crops, new manor house and pay back the villagers for their suffering.

Julia is secretly betrothed to Richard. Their parents are adamantly opposed to any marriage between them.

A new estate manager is hired and it turns out to be Ralph Megson; the very person who originally destroyed Wideacre.

Again in this novel we see the cruelty and insanity of the Lacey Heir.

This book can be read alone but one would get more out of the story with Wideacre's background.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 26, 2007
GateGypsy asked to be skipped

Mailed to LongFordMaine today

Journal Entry 10 by VPX-482879 on Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Arrived from Canada today! Thanks AceOfHearts!

I have just started two books so it will be a little time before I begin this one.

Journal Entry 11 by VPX-482879 on Thursday, February 28, 2008
I enjoyed this book so much that I will definitely be reading the third in the series, 'Meridon', in the near future.

Poor Julia, trapped by her time, her position, her brother, her husband and her being a woman. I am just so glad that I don't live in those times.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Arrived today Thak you thegoaliegirl and longfordmaine. I am so looking forward to reading this, the second in the series.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, April 11, 2008
It's wonderful how Philippa Gregory novels just slip along. The 600 pages just passed by in a jiffy and then I woke up! I loved this one and preferred it to Wideacre - the heroine was more sympa. I have Meridon and shall read it as soon as possible,

I am waiting to hear from Twynnie and then it shall be on its way.

Update: Posted to Twynnie 16 April 2008.

Journal Entry 14 by Twynnie from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 19, 2008
It's arrived and is next on my list to read, once I have finished my current book. I'm looking forward to reading it as I'm interested to find out the next part of the story after reading Wideacre. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Journal Entry 15 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Friday, May 23, 2008
The book arrived safely this morning. Looks good :)

Journal Entry 16 by sudokugirl from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Monday, June 23, 2008
This was just as good as the first one. I hope I can track down "Meridon" as well - if anyone knows of a bookring for that one, I'd be interested in joining.

Thank you for sharing, thegoaliegirl.

Passed on to my sister.

Journal Entry 17 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Sunday, July 13, 2008
Got the book. Looking forward to reading it :)

Journal Entry 18 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday, July 19, 2008
Although the writing style and the story are just as good as the first book in this trilogy, I couldn't help but being extremely annoyed by the heroine, who had nothing of Beatrice's cool. Still, excellent book :) Can't wait to read next one.

Journal Entry 19 by PepeLePew at Fellow Bookcrosser, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 15, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/15/2008 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Zosime, who picked it out of the Historical Fiction VBB on bookobsessed.com. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 20 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Friday, January 09, 2009
Thank you! It is always nice to find a new book in the mailbox when I come home from work. :)

Journal Entry 21 by zosime at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, June 25, 2011
I couldn't put this book down. I have such hope for Wideacre, but things just keep getting worse. I had to go read Meridon right away to see if anything good finally happened on that land. This series definitely has a different feel from Philippa Gregory's Tudor fiction, but her ability to get me completely entangled in the story is just the same.

I am sending this book along as a surprise for pkboo. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by pkboo at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, July 09, 2011
:) Recivied the book earlier this week. Sorry for taking so long to journal. Thank you for sending it.