All over but the Shoutin'

by Rick Bragg | Nonfiction |
Registered by heartsong2 on 4/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by heartsong2 on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Perhaps the most courageous thing Pulitzer Prize-winng journalist Rick Bragg has ever written. Bragg has never failed to record the grace and dignity of people who live their lives in the margins. Her he gives us the story of himself, a child of poor white Southerners, and of his family--an alcoholic, mostly absent father, and an extraordinary mother, quietly heroic in the face of devastating poverty. Bragg looks down the corridors of his past with love, hate humor, regret, self-doubt, and understanding. In the telling, he may occasionally flinch, but he never turns away.

Journal Entry 2 by heartsong2 on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Currently participating in smlwoman's Mt. TBR challenge, where I'm not supposed to acquire any TBR books for one month. I just accepted an invitation to participate in a bookring that's on my wishlist, so, my obligation to the challenge is to RABCK two TBR books. I acquired two copies of this particular selection, so I am hoping to RABCK this for RABCK #2!

RABCK 4/29/06 to Abecedarian!

Journal Entry 3 by Abecedarian from Clearwater, Kansas USA on Thursday, May 04, 2006
Thanks heartsong2! All Over But the Shoutin is one of my favorite books. I'll reread and then share with someone else.