Trilby

by George Du Maurier | Romance |
Registered by humberts-doll of Springfield, Missouri USA on 4/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by humberts-doll from Springfield, Missouri USA on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
First published in 1894, the story of the diva Trilby O'Ferrall and her mentor, Svengali, has entered the mythology of that period alongside Dracula and Sherlock Holmes. Immensely popular for years, the novel led to a hit play, a series of popular films, Trilby products from hats to ice-cream, and streets in Florida named after characters in the book. The setting reflects Du Maurier's bohemian years as an art student in Paris before he went to London to make a career in journalism. A celebrated caricaturist for Punch magazine, Du Maurier's drawings for the novel--of which his most significant are included here--form a large part of its appeal.

***
What disappointed me somewhat about this book was that it was more the story of Little Billee, the Laird, and Taffy than of Trilby or Svengali. I felt that I understood the first three, but I never really got a grasp of Trilby or Svengali, who were definitely the two more interesting characters. It was, however, an insightful look at the life of struggling artists in Bohemian Paris, and in some parts, was actually rather humorous and not as dark as I'd expected. It was also interesting to learn that the author was grandfather of author Daphne Du Maurier.

Journal Entry 2 by humberts-doll at C.A.R.E. in Springfield, Missouri USA on Friday, June 27, 2008

Released 14 yrs ago (6/27/2008 UTC) at C.A.R.E. in Springfield, Missouri USA

Released at CARE thrift store.