Tipping the Velvet : A Novel

by Sarah Waters | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Apolonia of Lynn, Massachusetts USA on 4/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, April 23, 2006
Purchased at one of the bookstores across from the Courtyard Marriott in Toronto.

Journal Entry 2 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 26, 2007
I don't really think I'll get to this one, every time I pick it up it just doesn't seem to interest me. I am bringing it with me to Charleston, South Carolina to release at the 2007 Bookcrossing convention!!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 22, 2007
I got this one from a live swaperoo during the Charleston Convention!
Had to do some strategizing to get this one and it actually worked! Woohoo!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Nancy Astley comes from a family of oyster farmers. For the first 19 years of her life she doesn't know much outside of the kitchen and life of an oyster farmer in the late 1800s. Her only source of fun is to visit the theatre every so often and catch live performances, until she sees Kitty Butler onstage dressed as a man. Nancy is immediately captured by Kitty's performance and spends the money on the train ride to see Kitty on stage many times until Kitty eventually invites Nancy into her dressing room. Nancy realizes that she is falling in love with Kitty, and sets out with Kitty to London, far away from her parents, as Kitty's dresser. What follows are the ups and downs of Nancy's life and how she finds herself and learns to love.

But, like so many, Nancy doesn't fall in love with the people that are right for her. She spends just as much time picking herself up as she does being happy. It's interesting to see her change her lifestyles so quickly to suit her lovers.

I'm really daft when it comes to symbolism in books, but Nancy really is like the oysters she shucked every day. Her exterior is rather rough, but with the right environment you can get at what you really want - a very interesting character.

The writing of this novel immediately captures you and keeps the pages turning. The descriptions are fantastic and almost lyrical. The characters are well drawn and quite realistic because they have so many flaws.

First to my mom, then to MsJoanna.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 19, 2007
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Tipping the Velvet is about lesbian love in the late 1800s. Nancy Astley seems like any other young girl living by the sea, helping in her family's oyster restaurant and going to the occasional live show.

Then she sees Kitty Butler on stage and becomes besotted by her and moves to London to be her dresser and hopefully lover. Kitty eventually breaks her heart and Nancy becomes a renter and then meets Diana and so on and so on.

Nancy seems to be able to be everything to the person she is currently with. She is like a chameleon. Life is a stage to her. She must learn to love the 'right' person.

I was amazed at the latitude of acceptance of the 'tom' in this period.

Warning: There are lesbian love scenes depicted in this book.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 17, 2007
This book was sent off earlier in the week to MsJoanna who picked it from the raiding shelves swap.

Journal Entry 8 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
I've been wanting to read this ever since I first heard about it. I'm excited that it's the one that got picked from the Raiding Swap because I definitely would have picked it if I had been the raider. Looking forward to it.