The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Sherria of Bethel, Connecticut USA on 4/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Sunday, April 23, 2006
I loved this movie and I'm sure the book will be even better, so I picked up a copy for the Banned Books Challenge. Why on earth would people be banning Pulitzer Prize winning literature???

FROM THE PUBLISHER
Published to unprecedented acclaim, The Color Purple established Alice Walker as a major voice in modern fiction. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, this is the story of two sisters-one a missionary in Africa and the other a child wife living in the South-who sustain their loyalty to and trust in each other across time, distance, and silence. This classic work of American literature is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life.

Journal Entry 2 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Sunday, August 20, 2006
The Color Purple is a brilliant book, certainly worthy of the Putlizer Prize Walker won for it. I saw the movie several times years ago but had never read the book. I'm so glad that the Banned Books challenge motivated me to pick up a copy. I'll release this one, but may have to pick up another for my personal collection; it's good enough that I expect I'll want to read it again.

The color purple is a remarkable story or struggle, perseverence and ultimate triumph. It is a story of women searching for their power in a man's world. And it's the heartwrenching story of the power of love.

Celie grew up poor, abused and unloved by anyone but her sister. She was given to an abusive man in marriage who eventually deprives her of her sister Nettie. Celie survives one day at a time, and through her story we also see the other women who surround her in their struggles. It is through a woman, Shug Avery, that Celie discovers that she is lovable, and through other women that she realizes that she is capable of taking some measure of control of her life.

Celie eventually leaves the abusive husband and ultimately makes a life for herself. The path it takes her to get there is frightening but empowering, and incredibly emotional to watch. Walker's story is told with such sensitivity that it's impossible not to become involved with the characters.

This book doesn't pull any punches; it's real and realistic. Is that what scares people into banning books? Are they afraid to acknowledge the often difficult realities of life? This book deserves to be widely read, not censored.

Journal Entry 3 by Sherria at 23 Atlantic Street building in Stamford, Connecticut USA on Thursday, August 31, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (8/31/2006 UTC) at 23 Atlantic Street building in Stamford, Connecticut USA

I left this in the building laundry room.