corner corner Cloud Atlas (A Novel)

Cloud Atlas (A Novel)
by David Mitchell | Other
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 12/23/2006

status (set by melydia): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 23, 2006

I purchased this book at the Friends of the Library used book store in Rockville, Maryland. My daughter is taking the book with her to Emerald Isle, North Carolina, this week.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hmm...

I found this book among my daughter's things that she brought home from college this past summer. Glad I found this book again!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017

It's time to do some serious culling of books in my "To Be Read" pile. I might live a long, healthy life, but there is no way I'll ever read all the books now in my possession. I chose this as one of the books to begin moving on.

Farewell and happy traveling, little book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 04, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (11/8/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

***The November 2017 E-less challenge hosted by motherof11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 04, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (12/10/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I am releasing this book at the annual BookCrossing Holiday Party at the home of authorauthor. This book will go on the Book Buffet.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenges:

***The 2017 D for December Release Challenge hosted by hyphen8.

***The 2017 What's in a Name Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess . The title of this book contains the name CLOUD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 10, 2017

This was leftover at the end of today's BCinDC holiday party. I hope to continue its journey soon.

I read another copy of this book years ago and this is what I had to say then:

Spent much of the book having absolutely no idea what's going on. But that's okay. Basically it's a series of interconnected stories that go through the diary of an American man in Australia in the 1850s, a British musician in the 1930s, a mystery-solving American journalist in the 1970s, an elderly British publisher in the present day, a clone on trial in nearish-future Korea, a goat herder in post-apocalyptic Hawaii, and back again. I'd hoped there would be a little more connection between the stories - more on the comet-shaped birthmark, for example - but that was not to be. It also got a little preachy in places. My favorite was probably the elderly British publisher who gets committed to an old folks' home against his will. All in all it's a decent read, but far too long for the amount of interest it held for me. Which sounds about like how I felt about the other Mitchell book I've read, Ghostwritten: great characters, probably could use a reread, but if you prefer less convoluted tales, you might want to skip this one.