The Body Artist

by Don DeLillo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MrPloppy of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 4/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by MrPloppy from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 22, 2006
The first Don DeLillo book i read, and its not the most accessible either. The Body Artist is "A Ghost Story for the 21st century" according to The Observer, and i suppose it is ... and it isn't. It's really a tale of a woman grieving after the death of her husband but in a strange, and rather haunting stylised manner.

A good (and short) starting place to enter the world of Don DeLillo - definitely one of the finest writers out there at the moment.

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 29, 2006
I don't think I'm clever enough for this book. I read it, but I'm still not entirely sure what it was about. Very poetic, though.

v

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 14, 2006
Picked up by someone (Daveytay?) at the meetup in Timaru on Saturday.

v

Journal Entry 4 by daveytay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, November 06, 2006
I have decided that this style of disjointed writing is not for me. I did not enjoy this book and kept telling myself that it will get better.
Cathietay says she liked it.

Journal Entry 5 by Cathietay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, November 06, 2006
I enjoyed this story - you just have to let it in and absorb it all. It is my second sampling of Don DeLillio. White Noise was the first so maybe I approached it in a different way to a DeLilio virgin. Everything slowly comes together; or possibly comes apart..

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Left on the table after tonight's meetup, so I took it home to continue its journey.

v

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 25, 2006
Given to Sherlockfan for the NZBC convention, Wellington, February 16-18 2007.

Journal Entry 8 by BCNZCONV on Friday, December 01, 2006
Received during a weekend visit from FutureCat - will be added to the Convention pile. Thanks

Journal Entry 9 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 19, 2007
Picked up at the NZ BC convention in Wellington. Many thanks.

Journal Entry 10 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 31, 2007
I have to agree with daveytay. I found the writing a bit disjointed and I couldn't connect with the story. I have to say that the best part of it for me was that it was mercifully short...