The Shipping News

by E. Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Cinnamon-Girl of Newnan, Georgia USA on 4/21/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Friday, April 21, 2006
Being from Newfoundland myself, I have a bias towards this book, but it is truly a great piece of fiction, and Proulx has captured the essence of this remote Canadian province and its people so perfectly. I've bought this duplicate copy for an international bookring.

From Amazon
In this touching and atmospheric novel set among the fishermen of Newfoundland, Proulx tells the story of Quoyle. From all outward appearances, Quoyle has gone through his first 36 years on earth as a big schlump of a loser. He's not attractive, he's not brilliant or witty or talented, and he's not the kind of person who typically assumes the central position in a novel. But Proulx creates a simple and compelling tale of Quoyle's psychological and spiritual growth. Along the way, we get to look in on the maritime beauty of what is probably a disappearing way of life.

Journal Entry 2 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Monday, May 15, 2006
Sending in the mail today to keksi2 - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by keksi2 from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Saturday, May 20, 2006
Caught in the mail today - the same week that I got a journal entry for the only other book by Annie Proulx I have read so far (That Old Ace In The Hole), which I released at the local OBCZ.
Now The Shipping News will be my read for next week´s commuting. Cinnamon-Girl, thank you so much for sharing this :-)

Journal Entry 4 by keksi2 from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Thursday, May 25, 2006
I finished The Shipping News today and I´m glad I did. At first I found it so hard to get into the story that I wasn´t sure if I´d make it till the last page :-)
But as the story unfolded, the characters became more and more credible and started to come alive for me. And the descriptions of the landscape were just beautiful! Plus, I learned a lot about a way of life that´s absolutely foreign to me.

Thank you cinnamon-girl for sharing this, it was so interesting!
Off to chocdrop tomorrow.

Journal Entry 5 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Arrived in the post today - thanks keksi2.

It will be the next book that I read.

Journal Entry 6 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 04, 2006
Just finished this book. I wasn't sure at first whether I was going to get to the end of it - I struggled with the fragmented style of writing, but gradually, you find yourself engrossed in the story.

Annie Proulx's descriptions of Newfoundland are beautifully written. It was also educational - I didn't know that the inventor of the Plimsoll line was an MP for the city where I live!

Thanks cinnamon-girl for organising this ring.

I have aunt-sophie's address and will post on to her tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by rem_VSP-560485 on Thursday, June 08, 2006
It reached my mailbox today! Thanks! I have several rings at home, so it might take a few weeks before I get down to it, though.

Journal Entry 8 by rem_VSP-560485 on Sunday, June 25, 2006
So I'm done with the book now. It was a nice read, although at first the style of the author -all short sentences- got on my nerves a bit. But then I warmed up to the characters, and the magical descriptions of Newfoundland (definitely want to go there someday!), and the overall way the story was told, and got hooked. :)

I got Thursday5's address, and I should mail the book on June 28. Thank you for sharing it with this ring, Cinnamon-Girl!

Journal Entry 9 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
What a pleasant surprise to find The Shipping News in my mailbox today! I am looking forward to reading it. Thaks for sending it Aunt-sophie.

Journal Entry 10 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Friday, August 04, 2006
I just returned from a long vacation where this book traveled with me to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, which is also one of the Atlantic provinces and is where you can catch the ferry to Newfoudland-- it was a good place to read the book. Annie Proulx is a gifted writer who makes her characters come alive.
I will PM rebeccajames and send the book on. Thanks for sharing Cinnamon-girl.

Journal Entry 11 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Mailing to Luintaurien today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Got it today. Will read and pass on ASAP. Thank you.

Journal Entry 13 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Monday, April 02, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (4/2/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Got it back due to having put wrong country code on it.
Sent to Aramena for help with shipping.

Journal Entry 14 by wingAramenawing from Noble, Oklahoma USA on Friday, April 20, 2007
I'm making a trip to the post office today and this will be on it's way to cobalt-tree!

Journal Entry 15 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
arrived a few days ago.
I'm going to get started as soon as I finish reading my current bookring book.

Journal Entry 16 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did I really grew to like. It didn't change my life or leave me awe-struck, but I definitely finished it with a warm and satisfied smile on my face.

Thanks so much for sharing. I've PMed millycat.

Journal Entry 17 by millycat from Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 30, 2007
Waiting for me when I got back from holiday, thanks for this!!

Journal Entry 18 by millycat from Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 06, 2007
This is the most enjoyable book I''ve read for months, I''m so glad this was offered as a book ring. It starts with the central character living an unhappy, purposeless life and end with him discovering the value of roots, shared family culture and country life. I think many of the characteristics & values of people in isolated areas are similar ,no matter if they are isolated by the sea or in rural areas. Its a real feel good story, but I''m determined not to spoil the ending for Boirina, so I''ll stop now!
Posting it off to her asap.

Journal Entry 19 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
The book got here today. :)

Journal Entry 20 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
The book is on its way back to Cinnamon-girl, at last.

I enjoyed it, but I must admit that the vocabulary was a little out of my range, and it was a little bit more difficult for me than other books. But I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the opportunity to read it and for your patience Cinnamon-girl! (And many hugs)

Journal Entry 21 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 16, 2008
This book has arrived safely back home and I plan to wild release so some lucky reader will discover the traveling this book has already done.

Thanks to all who joined the ring and helped this book along! I appreciated your comments and am glad you participated.

Also a big thank you to boirina for the book charms and mandalas. They are quite beautiful and I'll definitely be putting them to use.