Stumbling on Happiness

by Daniel gilbert | Science | This book has not been rated.
Registered by DocandSunshine of Everett, Washington USA on 4/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by DocandSunshine from Everett, Washington USA on Sunday, April 16, 2006
My Thoughts:
This copy is an Advance Reader's Edition.

From The Publisher:
Why are lovers quicker to forgive their partners for infidelity than for leaving dirty dishes in the sink? Why will sighted people pay more to avoid going blind than blind people will pay to regain their sight? Why do dining companions insist on ordering different meals instead of getting what they really want? Why do patients remember long medical procedures as being less painful than short ones? Why do home sellers demand prices they wouldn’t dream of paying if they were home buyers? Why are shoppers happier when they can’t get refunds? Why do pigeons seem to have such excellent aim; why can’t we remember one song while listening to another; and why does the line at the grocery store always slow down the moment we join it?

In this brilliant, witty, and accessible book, renowned Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert describes the foibles of imagination and illusions of foresight that cause each of us to misconceive our tomorrows and misestimate our satisfactions. Vividly bringing to life the latest scientific research in psychology, cognitive neuroscience, philosophy, and behavioral economics, Gilbert reveals what scientists have discovered about the uniquely human ability to imagine the future, and about our capacity to predict how much we will like it when we get there. With penetrating insight and sparkling prose, Gilbert explains why we seem to know so little about the hearts and minds of the people we are about to become.

More Stuff:
If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site; welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, polliwog, as the member who referred you. If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and Happy Crossing!

Journal Entry 2 by supersunshine from Lopez Island, Washington USA on Sunday, May 07, 2006
Looks interesting! Stumbled open this in my mothers bookshelf. Heeheeheehee

Journal Entry 3 by supersunshine at Keep It Clean Laundry in Lopez Island, Washington USA on Thursday, March 01, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (3/1/2007 UTC) at Keep It Clean Laundry in Lopez Island, Washington USA