Blood Trail

by Tanya Huff | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, April 22, 2006
I've enjoyed Huff's "Blood" series, so when I found this copy at the World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto I decided to pick it up for release.

Huff's "Blood" series about Henry Fitzroy (vampire, illegitimate son of Henry VIII, and romance-novel writer [!]) is very entertaining; this is the second book, after "Blood Price," which I liked very much. Each book pits Henry and ex-homicide cop Vicki Nelson against a different foe, usually supernatural. In "Blood Price" a computer nerd summons a demon and sets off all sorts of trouble [and, coincidentally, triggers the events that bring Vicki and Henry together]. "Blood Trail" features a band of werewolves - but they're the good guys, and they ask Henry and Vicki to help find out who's killing them. This one's very humorous, especially when the wolves-in-human-form act out typical wolvish pack-dominance behaviors - and when Vicki's ex-lover tries to beat Henry at out-dominating the wolves it's simply hilarious.

The way the characters interact is a lot of fun (even when they're fighting, which - when Vicki's involved - is most of the time), but if you're interested in the "Blood" series at all I'd recommend starting with "Blood Price" - you'll miss a lot of the character setup if you start with this one.

Journal Entry 2 by SandDanz from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, April 23, 2006
I should've known I'd end up with another GoryDetails book when coming to the convention. I picked this one up off of the convention table. It fulfills a wish on my wishlist! :) Thanks GD!

Journal Entry 3 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, July 29, 2006
Chosen out of Nou's bookbox! Thanks Sand!

Journal Entry 4 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Sunday, August 13, 2006
Not bad, Vicki's whole eye problem gets a bit old, but overall, the werewolves are a fun lot, especially the younger ones, Daniel/Shadow I can totally see as a big excitable puppy, and loved the throwing the frisbee in Peter's human form and catching it in Storm's form, that was cute.

There is some good bantering dialogue too, I like that. When Mike was cursing in Italian and Henry was being impressed (knowing Italian) that he only repeated himself to make them more graphic, things like that.

I'll have to check out the rest in the series.

I'll be passing this one along in the paranormal vbb next round. Thanks Sand!

Journal Entry 5 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, November 04, 2006
going to Wss4 from the Paranormal VBB! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Thursday, November 09, 2006
This book arrived today. I look forward to collecting another series to read. Thanks!!