The Catcher in the Rye

by J.D. Salinger | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014023750x Global Overview for this book
Registered by chocdrop of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 4/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 09, 2006

TBR

Journal Entry 2 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 02, 2009
Sorry to say that I didn't really enjoy this book. I know it's considered to be a classic, but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Oh well, it's another 1001 book I can cross off the list.

Journal Entry 3 by chocdrop at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/2/2009 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the winner of the UK Smile Day RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by Cinderess on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Thanks very much for sending this book. (I was the decoy for The Smile Day RABCK, which you won!)It's really kind of you to send one from my wishlist.

Journal Entry 5 by Cinderess on Saturday, May 09, 2009
I really enjoyed this. I've wanted to read it for ages just because it's been one of those books I've heard about for years. I didn't know anything at all about it. There isn't a blurb on the back of this copy so I plunged in 'blind'. I can't believe it was written in the 1940s. It seems more contemporary than that. Parts of the book made me laugh out loud.

I really felt for poor Holden. I think his parents have a lot to answer for. I expect Holden has been endlessly written about and discussed for decades by English Literature students. I wonder what became of him. Damaged liver / lungs probably!

It's interesting that this is a new edition which reproduces 'for the first time in Penguin Books the original American text.' I'd quite like to skim through an adapted version.

Journal Entry 6 by Cinderess at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/26/2009 UTC) at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Sending to another Bookcrosser as a RABCK. I hope you enjoy this. I really did, and can imagine reading it again in the future.

Journal Entry 7 by pinkydinky on Thursday, May 28, 2009
Thnks Cinderess. Look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 8 by pinkydinky on Tuesday, June 09, 2009
I'm with chocdrop on this one. I couldn't feel any sympathy for Holden. He annoyed me intensely. However, I think the author has got the smug, self -centred teen down to a tee. Some things never change!! Everything is phony to him and the only person he seems to have any affection for is his sister and dead brother. Some of this may be down to him being sent away to school etc.. This is probably a book that is like marmite. You either love it or hate it.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkydinky on Wednesday, June 17, 2009
I have set up a small ray for this book.

Participants so far.

Jozebedee (UK)
Kingfan (UK)
Shelj7K (Irl)

Journal Entry 10 by pinkydinky at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/22/2009 UTC) at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom

On it's way to Jozebedee.

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Arrived safely - thanks pinkydinky. I will get to it as soon as I can, as I have a few other bookrings to get through first :-)

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 12, 2009
I absolutely hated this book! Everything about it annoyed me :( Holden is such an annoying character. I have always wanted to read this, but have been very disappointed with it.
Thanks for sharing though pinkydinky, and sorry for having it for so long, I've had loads of rays to get through!
Will be sending off to Kingfan30 on Monday.

Journal Entry 13 by Jozebedee at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, September 14, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/14/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way - hope the next reader enjoys it more than I did!

Journal Entry 14 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 18, 2009
Book has arrived safe and sound, will get to it soon just need to finish my current read x

11 Oct 09 - Just finished this book and it only took 2 days! I agree with some of the others, Holden is not the most likable character but there was something about this book that made me want to read on, however I felt the end was a bit abrupt and not sure what the point was. I just read that is was written in the 1940s and am shocked as I feel some of our teenagers these days probably have similar views, it certainly feels like a more modern book.

Journal Entry 15 by kingfan30 at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, October 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/12/2009 UTC) at Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland

Sent on to Shelj7K

Journal Entry 16 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, October 15, 2009
Thank you Kingfan30, the book arrived safely this morning. I will get to this very shortly but I have a similar sized bookray book to complete before I start it. Thanks also to pinkydinky for hosting!

Journal Entry 17 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Oh my goodness, I absolutely loved The Catcher in the Rye!!! I have a son almost Holden's age and, perhaps because of that, I found that the book took me through the whole spectrum of emotions. To me Holden started off as a regular teenager and his manner of speaking really made me laugh; the lazy way he exaggerated, the way he repeated himself, the way he was so cynical about anything he saw as phony, was familiar to me from my own teenage years as well as through observing my son and his friends.

Soon however, it became clear to me that Holden was a very depressed young man; trying to grow up too fast, trying to run away and yet trying to find a way to fit in. It seemed that he was misjudged and overlooked by his grieving parents after his brother's death. He smashed windows, failed classes, there was a suggestion towards the end of the book of abuse by a teacher, he drank and smoked to excess and he was a self confessed liar. Not the most likable character on paper. Yet I really felt for him. All the times he tried to call people, especially Jane, from phoneboxes in New York and couldn't bring himself to do so I felt his loneliness. I felt it when he had a run in with a prostitute and her pimp. I felt it in his love for his family and how he cried with his little sister and yet, was afraid to upset his parents.

Holden's fantasy of being "the catcher in the rye" and his love for Phoebe (and Jane), even his admission that his missed his old classmates showed that he was reaching out through his sadness. The paragraph I found the saddest was from when he was in the mummies exhibition in the museum towards the end of the book where he tells us: "You can never find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write 'Fuck you' right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under it it'll say 'Fuck you". I'm positive, in fact."

At the end of the book Holden tells us that he has been sick and is in a mental hospital but that he will be going to another school in September. We don't know if anything has changed for him or whether he is going back on the same loop he started on. I for one would be rooting for him and hoping that things turned out ok for 'old Caulfield'.

Many many thanks to pinkydinky for the opportunity to read this wonderful book. I don't know if I would have appreciated it as much had I read it at school. It really spoke to me at the stage in life I'm at right now.

pinkydinky as been kind enough to allow me to decide the book's fate as I am the last in the Ray. I think I will donate it to the 1001-library for other readers to enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 02, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation shelj7k!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/22/2010 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending to another 1001 Library member.

Journal Entry 20 by TracyW on Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Got in the mail last night - thanks Shel! Am looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 21 by TracyW on Thursday, January 28, 2010
I enjoyed this one. The narrator isn't all that attractive as someone to know, But the insight into his mind is fascinating. This is one of the things I most appreciate about novels, that they can bring you into contact with different people's ways of thinking. Of course, not having ever been a 1940s/50s American teenage boy living in New York with very rich parents I'm not exactly qualified to comment on whether it's a realistic viewpoint, but still it's an absorbing portrait. Without ever directly describing it, Salinger gives us a teenage boy who is clearly all over the place with his emotions, tough-acting and cynical, fascinated by sex, but also warm and giving with small kids, egotistical but scared of fights, a lot of the drama of the teenager, I like the way he imagines himself staggering around shot in the guts like a tough guy in the movies.
I do feel awfully sorry for his parents, and I liked how Salinger didn't make Holden's misery to be the parents' fault, instead they were mostly absent from the story and the focus was on Holden's peer group.

Very much glad I've read this one.

Journal Entry 22 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 28, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing TracyW:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 23 by PI-DE at Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, July 01, 2013
Thanks for the book !