A Salute to the Great Mccarthy

by Barry Oakley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cackleberry on 4/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by cackleberry on Monday, April 03, 2006

Paperback. 198 pages. Published 1974.

From the back cover blurb...

"McCarthy the Great is the brilliant young footballer from the bush determined to make good in the bright lights of the city. One of the great dunce-clown heroes, McCarthy is a completely inept social climber, and his incredible adventures as he struggles to cope with the toughness and barrenness of modern urban life give rise to a series of hardeyed observations about life in Australia..."

Released 13 yrs ago (4/4/2006 UTC) at Sherwood Post Office in -- Controlled Releases --, Queensland Australia

Posted this book to ahv in far away Norway as her prize for winning the "cackleberry's *BIG* Australian History Quiz" in the Scandinavian Forum (Norwegian Section). Here is a link to the Quiz...

Mailed at the Post Office Sherwood Road Sherwood Brisbane Queensland Australia at 12.30pm Wednesday 05 April 2006.

Journal Entry 3 by ahv from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Came home from my easter holyday yesterday, and there it was, lying outside my door. A wery nice encouragement at the end of the holydays. Thank you wery much, crackleberry! I plan to read the book as soon as I have the time, but with the exam period coming up, I don't know when that will be.

Journal Entry 4 by ahv from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Monday, June 19, 2006
Finally got around to reading the book. I quite liked it, even though I am not very interested in sports. It was interesting to read about how the system functioned before the age of huge salaries.

In my view, the book communicates a rather depressing look on the world. The great football star is brought down by the big city, fame and women. It is a good book, but not one I would recommend if you are in a bad mood. Even so, there is a lot of humor in the book.

All in all, a well written book, and absolutely worth reading.