The Great Gatsby

Registered by avanta7 on 4/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by avanta7 on Sunday, April 02, 2006
Trade paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by avanta7 on Saturday, May 26, 2007
Zippy quick read, and fascinating character study. It's easy to see why this short novel is such a favorite.

Journal Entry 3 by avanta7 on Monday, August 25, 2008
Mailing off to antof9 today. This is on her wish list. Sshhhh, it's a secret!

Journal Entry 4 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, September 28, 2008
It's good to clean your office every once in a while. You might find a RABCK in a pile of things you stashed in there last time you had company!

Thanks, Avanta! This IS on my wish list, and I'm looking forward to reading it! I had no idea it was so little!

The generosity of BookCrossers never ceases to amaze me. Thanks, really -- thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by Antof9 at Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, August 29, 2010
I'm still totally thankful you sent me this, Avanta, but ... I didn't much like it. Please know that my review does not in any way reflect my appreciation for your generosity! Anyway, here's what I just posted on Goodreads:

Sometimes you just need to read a book with a Lit class, methinks.

Or said another way, I'm sad to report that The Great Gatsby isn't very great. In fact, I was bored, missed the point, and am not sure I liked any of the characters. Maybe Carraway.

Honestly, this was fairly disappointing. Perhaps because I don't think I knew a thing about it before reading it? Or maybe I just needed some more insight in it and am just incapable of finding it on my own. I am glad I've read it, because it's one more book on the list of "books I never read in an English class but everyone else did" that I can check off. But I'm sad to report that that's about the best part of it.

Wait -- I do have something good to say about it -- the writer is VERY good at painting pictures. I could see the entire thing in my mind's eye. Really. That's not an exaggeration.