Fury

by Salman Rushdie | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BettyBoekwurm of Porto - City, Porto Portugal on 3/29/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Fury is a gloss on fin-de-siècle angst from the master of the quintuple entendre. Salman Rushdie hauls his hero, Malik Solanka, from Bombay to London to New York, and finally to a fictional Third World country, all in order to show off a preternatural ability to riff on anything from Bollywood musicals to revolutionary politics. Professor Solanka is propelled on this path by his strange love of dolls. He plays with them as a child; as an adult he quits his post at Cambridge in order to produce a TV show wherein an animated doll, Little Brain, meets the great thinkers of history. Little Brain becomes a smash hit, and perhaps inevitably, Solanka finds himself in America. (It's not only the show-biz version of manifest destiny that brings him to the New World: one night in London he finds himself standing over the sleeping figures of his beloved wife and child, frighteningly close to stabbing them. This intellectual puppeteer is, of course, fleeing himself.)
Now, in New York, he is filled with wrath. Solanka is far from being an Everyman, but his fury is a kind of Everyfury. It's road rage writ large--the natural reaction to an excess of mental traffic. There are several books running simultaneously here: a mystery, a family romance, a bitingly satirical portrait of millennial Manhattan, and a sci-fi revolutionary fantasy. A single fragment gives a sense of Rushdie's reflexive multiplicity: when Solanka finally faces his memories of childhood, he recalls "his damn Yoknapatawpha, his accursed Malgudi." Here's a writer who, leading us into the tender places of his protagonist's soul, stops long enough to reference not just Faulkner but Narayan as well. If it sounds like a bit of a mess, it is. If it sounds frighteningly intelligent, it's that too.
from Amazon.com

This book was part of my initial discovery of Rushdie's writing. Ever since, I've become a fan.

Journal Entry 2 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, June 01, 2006
I've decided to turn this into a Bookring, if I have anyone interested. No strict rules, just please make a journal entry when you receive the book, and another when you've read it. Also, let us know when you've sent it.

Participants (in order):

-Psyche- (USA - US/Canada pref.)
MandaJo (USA - Int'l)
charlenemartel (Canada - Int'l)
geishabird (Canada - Int'l)
okyrhoe (Greece - Int'l)
PedroGamaVieira (Portugal)
Polliejean (Germany/Portugal)

Started on the 20th June 2006

Journal Entry 3 by -Psyche- on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
It has arrived! Thank you so much! I'll read and pass along as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 4 by -Psyche- at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 06, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (8/7/2006 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Thanks for sharing! I'm mailing this out this week.

Journal Entry 5 by MandaJo from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Arrived in the mail today. I have two rings in front of this one, but I should be able to get to it by late next week. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 6 by MandaJo from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Thursday, September 07, 2006
I'm having a really difficult time getting into this book, but I'll give it one more quick shot before passing it along.

Journal Entry 7 by MandaJo from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 24, 2007
I never did make it through this book... a little too much for me, I guess.

Now that there's a lull in the craziness of life... not really, but sort of... charlenemartel has asked to be skipped because things are a bit busy in her little corner of the world. I'm mailing this along to geishabird as we speak. I'm terribly sorry for keeping this so long. Good luck on your trip to Canada, little book!

Journal Entry 8 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Received; thank you! I should be able to start on this within the next day or two.

Journal Entry 9 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 17, 2007
The fact that this book's original release date was September 4, 2001 doesn't surprise me a bit. Its sense of building anxiety, of a world on the threshold of an inevitable major catastrophe, only indicates how brilliantly Rushdie is able to put his finger on the pulse of society. I finished this book several days ago but have been trying to think of what to say about it - it isn't easy. Deeply impressive but not always likable; deeply moving but not always sympathetic. The fury that consumes Solanka and his contemporaries is one we all know terribly well. What else can I say?

I've sent this along to okyrhoe. Thank you for sharing; this is a book that bears thinking about for a long time to come.

Journal Entry 10 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, July 02, 2007
Arrived in my p.o.box today.
Thanks BettyBoekwurm for including me in the ring and geishabird for posting the book to me!

Journal Entry 11 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, August 09, 2007
An enjoyable read, despite its complexities, but I am still a bit unsure as to what to make of Fury.

On the one hand, there are ample biographical similarities between Professor Malik Solanka, and Salman Rushdie so that one could assume this novel is a character piece. On the other hand, the plot line often follows an absurd trajectory, reducing Solanka's musings and anxieties to satire, rather than being a heart-felt study of the protagonist, or even, on another level, an exploration into the writer's mind.

In the end I think what weakens the novel is the point of view. We rely on Prof. Solanka's narration to inform us about what is presently happening or what has occured in the past, even regarding the past life of the other characters. I feel that the peripheral or participating characters don't have their own voice, nor do they have the benefit of being presented to us by an uninvolved narrator.

One character I found myself particularly intrigued by is Mila Milo(sevic). When she is allowed to speak at length, her voice is so vivid and impassioned that it jumps out of the pages of the book. Her 'story' and her voice is something I wish the book had more of. Maybe she could be the subject of a sequel - Fury from the female technorati point of view!

- Excerpt (opening)
- Excerpt (conclusion)
- An hour-long presentation of Fury for a radio station in Minneapolis, dating from August 2001. (The peculiar coincidence is that Rushdie was scheduled to appear in the Twin City area to promote his book on the day that the Twin Towers fell.)

Journal Entry 12 by PedroGamaVieira from Ponta Delgada (São Miguel), Açores Portugal on Monday, September 03, 2007
The book arrived safe. It goes to my tbr. Loved the postcards. Still don´t know Greece, always wanted to, but never did. Thanks.

Journal Entry 13 by PedroGamaVieira from Ponta Delgada (São Miguel), Açores Portugal on Thursday, February 14, 2008
This is a very complex, hard to enter book. Loved it. It has several layers of speech ands it is very curious to try to follow them.
It is a beautifull postcard of NY, for instance, and it has a raw story about the main charachter. At the same time the why it describes the media is fantastic. Another keyword to this book is politics, of course.

Loved it. Thanks so much for the oportunity of reading it.

Journal Entry 14 by Polliejean from Sesimbra, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, February 29, 2008
The book arrived yesterday, thank you. After I´ve finished the book I´ve in hands, I will beginn this one. Hope it will not take to long ;-)

Journal Entry 15 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
The book is back home again! Thanks everyone!