Giotto's Hand

by Iain Pears | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by chocdrop of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 3/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Bought as part of The Times 99p offer.

Synopsis

Fascinating art-crime novel set in Italy from the bestselling author of An Instance of the Fingerpost. General Bottando of Rome's Art Theft Squad is in trouble: his theory that a single master criminal, dubbed 'Giotto', is behind a string of major art thefts has aroused the scorn of his arch enemy and rival, the bureaucrat Corrado Argan. He needs a result, and the confession of a dying woman may just provide the vital clue. In pursuit of the elusive Giotto, Bottando's colleague, Flavia di Stefano, sets off hotfoot for Florence, and English art dealer Jonathan Argyll is dispatched to London and then on to rural Norfolk...only to discover a body and a mystery which could lead to the greatest art find of his career...

Journal Entry 2 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 20, 2006
Travelling in Jaycee1972's First Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 24, 2006
Taken on of Jaycee1972's first boxbook. Thanks for adding this one, chocdrop. It looks intriguing.

Jaycee1972 First Bookbox

Update: 5th February 2008.

I really enjoyed this gentle art world mystery. Nicely paced, well-rounded characters and a twisting and turning plot. Will be looking out for more by Mr Pears.

Journal Entry 4 by ETMadrid from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 09, 2008
I picked this up from the Camel and Artichoke bookshelf as I left the meeting this evening, as I recognised the author´s name, having recently been sent "An Instance of the Fingerpost" that I'm really looking forward to reading. As I see this one has a Norfolk connection, perhaps I'll give it to my friend in Norwich after I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by ETMadrid from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
It's been many moons since I read a whodunnit. At first I was unimpressed with the writing style, but I found it improved and I enjoyed it, all but the final few paragraphs that I found infuriating, to the point I'll make sure that I won't read another in this series. Anyway, it was untaxing and entertaining, just what I needed in this past week, so thank you to its previous readers.

PS By pure coincidence, the news this afternoon features the discovery of a new work of art by the same Italian artist whose drawing is discovered in this book!

Journal Entry 6 by ETMadrid at Taverham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, October 25, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/24/2009 UTC) at Taverham, Norfolk United Kingdom

I left this with a great friend who lives in Norfolk, where much of this book is set.