The Jasmine Man

by Lola Lemire Tostevin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stardustnf of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on 3/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by stardustnf from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Sunday, March 26, 2006
About the book:

"From one of Canada's finest writers, comes a fabulous new novel set in Toronto, Paris and Tunisia, exploring passion and desire in a dazzling Duras-like style.

Shortly after she arrives in Paris from Toronto, Amy meets Habib. This meeting changes her life forever. The married mother of a young boy, Amy is in Paris for a year because her husband, Gilles, is on an academic sabbatical. Habib is a Tunisian student studying at L'Universite de Paris.

Two foreighners in Paris. What begins as a tentative exchange soon develops into an affair. When Amy and her son travel to Tunisia for the summer, Habib mysteriously appears.

The Jasmine Man is a deeply considered novel that addresses issues of art, culture and colonialism as it explores the realms of memory and desire. With compassion and wit, Tostevin charts the repercussions of this affair. Amy's relationship with Habib is one of self-discovery, and she is forced to make difficult decisions about her future."

I picked this up as part of a grab-bag sale at the local bookstore, so I wasn't really expecting much. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters, as well as the smooth, poetic style of the writing. I liked it so much that I had to go back and read it again a little more slowly so that I could savour it more. I very much enjoyed this book.