Night's Kiss

by Amanda Ashley | Romance |
Registered by AsianWaterfall of Deland, Florida USA on 3/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by AsianWaterfall from Deland, Florida USA on Saturday, March 25, 2006
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by AsianWaterfall at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (7/22/2008 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

RABCK to JennyC1230.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Wow! Thank you so much for the RABCK'S! I was so surprised you sent so many books! You are one of the people who make bookcrossing a great place! :-) Thank you!

Book #1 in the Children of the Night series:

He has found his soul's desire... The Dark Gift has brought Roshan DeLongpre a lifetime of bitter loneliness-- until, by chance, he comes across a picture of Brenna Flanagan. There is something hauntingly familiar about Brenna, something that compels him to travel into the past, save the beautiful witch from the stake, and bring her safely to his own time. Now, in the modern world, Brenna's seductive innocence and sense of wonder are utterly bewitching the once-weary vampire, blinding him to a growing danger. For there is one whose dark magick is strong...one who knows who they both are and won't stop till their powers are his... and they are nothing more than shadows through time...

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, March 08, 2015
My Review: With Amanda Ashley her books are hit or miss for me. They are either wonderful or merely a yawn, this one was good.

I read this book last month, but I must have forgotten to journal it. Sorry that I have had this one so long. This is reserved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, June 08, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (6/12/2015 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Putting into Emmejo's Vampire Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, August 28, 2015
This book rode to the end of the Vampire bookbox and is now headed to my shelves.

Journal Entry 7 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016
I couldn't get into this one. The extremely lengthly explanatory tangents did me in after a little while! I got the feeling the author had done a lot of research on modern magic belief systems for this book and just couldn't resist adding it all. Hopefully the next reader will be more patient with it.

Journal Entry 8 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 11, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/11/2016 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

This book is one of the starting novels in the newest round of The Vampire Bookbox

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 10, 2016
I'm claiming this from the Vampire bookbox. I admit that, judging from the cover-blurb, I'm likely to find this more laughable than sexy, but I figured I'd give it a try!

Later: I found this one rather amusing, in a groan-worthy sort of way; it's really over the top with regard to mixing and matching fantasy/SF/magical elements. It opens with a broody, angsty vampire on the brink of self-immolation after getting bored with being fabulously wealthy and eternally young, strong, and beautiful. [OK, it was really because he was lonely; this type of vampire tends to be a territorial predator, so he can't hang out with other vamps, and for some reason has never been able to figure out how to befriend humans without preying on them.] Anyway, he's distracted from his "see the sun rise for the last time" suicide attempt by a pretty face - in an old book describing how the woman was burned as a witch in old Salem. Having decided not to die just yet after all, he wonders whether he can find a way to - ready? - travel back in time and rescue this toothsome lady from the pyre, despite never having dabbled in time-travel before. One guess as to whether this works or not!

The author tosses in lots of pop-culture references, from a dedication to Frank Langella (who did, indeed, make one of the sexiest Draculas of all time) to an in-story reference to the film "Bell, Book and Candle" - seems that broody vampire is a fan of Kim Novak as a witch {wry grin}. That might explain his pretty-witch fetish, and his general pop-culture knowledge may also explain his willingness to experiment with mystical powers.

The time-travel bit struck me as pretty silly, but I did enjoy the reaction of the witch in question, who wasn't at all pleased to have a stranger appear out of nowhere while she was skyclad (nude), and who didn't believe him about her imminent peril. And once she does get rescued and dragged into the future (sorry, um, spoiler?), she's quite testy about him having done all this without her permission. I liked some of the little details - he's left her alone in the house while he goes out to grab a bite (sorry!), and when she needs to pee and can't find the privy outdoors she simply ducks behind a bush in the yard. Not your typical romance-novel-heroine there!

Once the witch and the vampire work out their differences, which - oddly enough - doesn't take that long, another plot kicks in: somebody's after vampire blood with which to create an immortality serum. I rather lost interest in the middle of the story, and skimmed to the end to find out what happened; fairly decent dramatic rescue climax, and several VERY convenient plot-contrivances in favor of our loving couple.

Overall I found the book much more entertaining than I'd expected, if not exactly fine literature!

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Tuckaway Tavern in Raymond, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (6/11/2016 UTC) at Tuckaway Tavern in Raymond, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the restaurant at around 4; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released as part of the 2016 June Brides release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Raymond, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016
Looking forward to reading it!