Bitten & Smitten (Warner Forever)

by michelle rowen | Romance |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 3/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 23, 2006
Found at the second hand shop. Looked interesting. To add to the Vampire rings.

Rowen hits the nail (or is it the stake?) on the head with her feisty debut novel about a reluctant vampire trying to cope with her newfound otherworldly status. After a blind date bites Sarah Dearly on the neck and is killed by vampire hunters, she discovers she's not only a vampire but also has been left to learn the ropes of the night by herself. Thank goodness for wise "master" vampire Thierry de Bennicoeur, who saves her life, shows her to the nearest vampire hangout and wins her heart in the process. Next comes a mix of misplaced trust, stakings and bad double dates, all with the goal of outwitting the vampire hunters and getting Thierry to see that Sarah's the one for him. Rowen perfectly balances suspense and wit by tossing in one-liners just when the novel could start getting too serious ("I just need to wash my face and brush my fangs first and we can get out of here," Sarah says). Mentions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Anne Rice ground the novel and make it a true modern girl's guide to (vampire) life.

Journal Entry 2 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Received this in a package of 3 books from woosang on Friday. (I didn't have time to journal it then as I was getting ready to go away for the weekend.)

I'll insert this into my reading rotation and will send it on to NeedSun when I've finished it. Thanks for all the great vampire reads woosang!!! :-*

Journal Entry 3 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, September 18, 2006
Sarah Dearly was just turned into a vampire, and she isn't happy about it. The past week has been hell, she's just lost her job, and the one vampire she cares for wants to kill himself. Welcome to the life of Sarah Dearly, and her hilarious romp through new vampire territory.

This debut novel by Michelle Rowen was a terrific read, and I look forward to the sequel, Fanged & Fabulous, due around Spring 2007. She also wrote one of the chapters of Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred, which I have waiting on my TBR and am even more anxious to read now. The story reminded me somewhat of Betsy in MJD's Undead series; Sarah's just as quirky and funny, if not more so.

I'll be sending this off to NeedSun shortly, along with a few other books I've got ready to send her way.

UPDATE 23-SEP-2006: This is now packaged up and ready to go to NeedSun in Canada along with 4 other books. Sent via Surface Mail on 25-Sep-2006.

Journal Entry 4 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 07, 2006
This book arrived on Wednesday. I am going to add it to my HUGE pile of TBR bookrings and start some serious reading for the next couple of weeks. Thankfully, I know Tanja is just as backlogged as I am so she won't mind waiting for a while for this book. And while it is home with me, you can be sure it is being well looked after.

Thanks for sharing, Woosang!

And thanks to you too, Cherie, for mailing it to me.

Journal Entry 5 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
This was a nice simple read. I am looking forward to the sequel and the further romantic adventures of Sarah. Trouble seems to follow her around like a loyal pet.

I am preparing a package for Morgaine77 today so it should get posted soon. I'll update the entry with the actual shipping date.

Thanks again, Woosang, for sharing all your books with us.

Sent by air today

Journal Entry 6 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Monday, November 06, 2006
Gaaaahh, more bookrings!!! ;-) Thanks so much for sending, NeedSun and for sharing, woosang.

Journal Entry 7 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Friday, March 09, 2007
This was a very cute and quick read. I enjoyed it thoroughly and it had me giggling regularily on my commute.
The interesting thing is, that I do not like MJD's Undead series. but I adored this story. I guess Sarah just wasn't as annoying as Betsy. ;-)

As a side note: Did you realize that Toronto seems to become the new capital for Vampires and other supernatural beings? New Orleans seems to be out... *giggles*

Travelling back home to Australia by surface mail, together with a couple of goodies. I hope customs will let it through alright...

Journal Entry 9 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 06, 2007
Arrived home after spending some time with the Australian Customs Service. It was sniffed and prodded, and its travel mates got sampled for illegal substances. Imagine the story the book could tell. Chuckle.
The book has a nice fragrance now andnow it is time for ME to read it. If I can stop sniffing it of course.

Thanks to my friends who read it and got it home.

Journal Entry 10 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 14, 2007
Undecided if I liked this or not. On one hand the story was interesting and when I was reading it, it kept my attention
BUT

When I put the book down, I was not motivated to pick it up again. I didn't even give the story a thought. The Heroine was a bimbo, well maybe a bit harse but she seems very silly. Her friend Amy was the same. She did a lot and at the same time nothing.

Lukewarm

Released 11 yrs ago (5/20/2007 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Posting to a new home in the US, with a club_Vladder