A Sudden Country : A Novel

by Karen Fisher | History |
Registered by DocandSunshine on 3/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by DocandSunshine on Thursday, March 23, 2006
From The Publisher:
A vivid and revelatory novel based on actual events of the 1847 Oregon migration, A Sudden Country follows two characters of remarkable complexity and strength in a journey of survival and redemption.

James MacLaren, once a resourceful and ambitious Hudson’s Bay Company trader, has renounced his aspirations for a quiet family life in the Bitterroot wilderness. Yet his life is overturned in the winter of 1846, when his Nez Perce wife deserts him and his children die of smallpox. In the grip of a profound sorrow, MacLaren, whose home once spanned a continent, sets out to find his wife. But an act of secret vengeance changes his course, introducing him to a different wife and mother: Lucy Mitchell, journeying westward with her family.

Lucy, a remarried widow, careful mother, and reluctant emigrant, is drawn at once to the self-possessed MacLaren. Convinced that he is the key to her family’s safe passage, she persuades her husband to employ him. As their hidden stories and obsessions unfold, and pasts and cultures collide, both Lucy and MacLaren must confront the people they have truly been, are, and may become.

Alive with incident and insight, presenting with rare scope and intimacy the complex relations among nineteenth-century traders, immigrants, and Native Americans, A Sudden Country is, above all, a heroic and unforgettable story of love and loss, sacrifice and understanding.

More Stuff:
Website Link: A Sudden Country

**International BookRay for A Sudden Country by Karen Fisher will begin on April 1, 2006**

Guidelines:

• Please try to keep the book no longer than 4 weeks if possible.
  • If you need more time, that's fine, just let me know.
  • Let me know if you need to be dropped from the list or your position moved.
  • Please PM the next person in line (you can click on their name in the list below) to get their address when you are ready to mail it to them.
  • If the next person doesn't respond in 1-2 weeks let me know and we'll skip over them.
  • Please journal the book when you receive it.
  • If you wish, make a new entry or edit your first journal entry with your review/comments and the date you are mailing it to the next person in line.
  • If you end up being the last one to receive the book you are encouraged to give it to someone else as a RABCK, release it into the wild or start a new bookray with it.

Participant List

1) TJROTH (WA)
    2) 4-lele (IL)
    3) taaza (WI)
    4) bumma (SC)
    5) bobbarama (CA)<- book is here

**** thank you to everyone who particpated in this ray! ****

• Journal Entry 2 by TJROTH from Port Angeles, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 12, 2006
    Thanks Polli! Received in the mail today and will start it tonight. I am thinking that maybe I should go to bed right now and get to reading! Is 6:15 too early?

Journal Entry 3 by TJROTH from Port Angeles, Washington USA on Saturday, May 20, 2006
    What a wonderful book. I can't even imagine having to go throught the trials and tribulations of moving across the country like these people did.
    I do also have to say that it didn't end the way that I thought it would. Pm'd the next in line for their addy. Thanks polli for getting this copy out and traveling the country.

Journal Entry 4 by 4-lele from Elmhurst, Illinois USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2006
    It arrived, safe and sound. I really like the postcard of your state inside the front cover - great idea! I am finishing "Talk Before You Sleep" by Elizabeth Berg and then will get started with this one. Thanks much.

Journal Entry 5 by 4-lele from Elmhurst, Illinois USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A riveting tale of life in the New Frontier. Sometimes hard and harsh, the early settlers needed to pull all the resources from within themselves to survive in this unforgiving landscape. I enjoyed the book; however was surprised by St Francis of of Sales opening comments "On Sadness and Sorrow". My own experience has been quite different. I'll contact the next person in line to post this book as soon as possible. Thanks for setting this book as a bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by 4-lele from Elmhurst, Illinois USA on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
    Posted to taaza on July 24. Sent with USPS DC - #0305 2200 0000 8296 5475. Thanks for this great read polliwog!

Journal Entry 7 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
    Received from 4-Lele today, thanks much! I have been looking forward to reading A Sudden Country; will journal my thoughts on this soon!

Journal Entry 8 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Friday, August 18, 2006
    I'm sorry to say that I just could not get into the writing style: it was just too prose-like for my taste. But still, thanks for sharing this as a bookring, polliwog! Sending on to bumma in my weekly Sat am. run to the Post Office!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbummawing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, September 25, 2006
    I am horrified to realize that I did not journal on this book when it arrived! Please forgive me!

I have just PM'd bobbarama for his mailing address and will be sending it on when I hear from him.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbummawing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, September 25, 2006

Journal Entry 11 by wingbummawing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, October 13, 2006
    I have asked my daughter to mail this and I am sure she will. I am sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 12 by moondawgger from Carlsbad, California USA on Thursday, November 23, 2006
    I've had this book for a while. Been a bad boy for not registering it before now. My bad. Thanks for your patience, my dearest friend Paula. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for including me in the rotation! You are wonderful!