Coastliners : A Novel

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0060198125 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMmeClintonwing of South Berwick, Maine USA on 3/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Thursday, March 23, 2006
to be read... comments later!

Journal Entry 2 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Sunday, January 01, 2012
Although this is not my favorite book by Joanne Harris, I enjoyed it an encourage new readers to ride it out. A lot of the difficulty I think was trying to keep characters straight and to comprehend a lot of terminology dealing with islands, fishing, etc. that I just had trouble visualizing. It would have been very helpful to have a map of the imaginary Le Devin to refer to so that I could keep the geography and the movements of the characters more in focus, and even a list of the characters in the beginning would have been helpful. Even so, by the end I felt I had a good feel for a new time and place. The twists are good and the characters, even if sometimes too crudely caricatural, were intriguing. I read this for my book group and suspect others will not have loved it... because they will be comparing it subconsciously to two finer novels by Harris (Five Quarters of the Orange and Chocolat). Hope to send this off to someone looking for it....

Journal Entry 3 by wingMmeClintonwing at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA on Friday, February 26, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (2/26/2021 UTC) at When Pigs Fly Company Store And Pizzeria in Kittery, Maine USA

on the bench near the entrances