Children of the Day

by Sandra Birdsell | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 3/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, March 23, 2006
Gave away my first copy, knowing I would receive this as a gift from someone who knows my likes. Looking forward to reading.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, November 06, 2008
There are a few authors whose books I put off reading because I don't want to be without something of theirs yet to read. Alice Munro, Margaret Laurence, Margaret Atwood and Sandra Birdsell are four of them. I've got a stash of Margaret Atwood that I might dip into soon. Thankfully there is a reasonable likelihood of more to come from her. But I'm really sad that there'll be no more Laurence and while I've got Munro's *The View from Castle Rock* taunting me from my bookshelf, I'm afraid to even dip in a little bit for fear I'll devour it in a reading orgy and then be heartbroken that it's all gone. Children of the Day has been sitting on that same bookshelf, eying me seductively for the last couple of years. And despite the fact that I have no Birdsell in reserve, I succumbed to its charms and, after holding it my hands for a bit admiring the ladybugs on its dust jacket, I opened the cover.

The story is one day in the life of a family. Sara and Oliver Vandal have been married twenty years. Sara is Mennonite, Oliver Metis. They have ten children (and, judging from the morning vomiting, likely one on the way). Oliver manages a failing hotel, but for how long is Oliver's worry. One day in June Sara wakes up, picks a fight with her husband and decides she's not getting out of bed that day - her family can just get on without her. Oliver, you see, has been carrying on with the floozy in the neighbouring town. He feels like that is almost okay because if he hadn't done his duty by marrying Sara after putting her in the family way, he and his paramour would likely have married. The idiot brings his wife this woman's cast off shoes! Now Sara knows he sees this woman, but with ten children to raise and a household to run and not many options and less money, she bears it and besides she likes the shoes. Oliver's big mistake and what led to this morning's spat was that he took his children the last time he went to visit. How dumb can you get!

And so as the day unfolds, Sara and Oliver contemplate the last twenty years while the rest of the family tries to carry on with the routine of the day.

This was a totally pleasurable read from beginning to end. The reader becomes intimately involved with Sara and Oliver and all of their children, each with his or her own delightfully real personality and each with their own place in the family and wider community. You can't help but care for this family and you need to know how things will all turn out for them.

This is my twelfth book by a Canadian woman author and twentieth in total for the 2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh?

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/3/2009 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

On its way to KarmelK in Michigan today in the "You're In Canada Now" prize box. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by KarmelK from Jerome, Michigan USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
This was sent to me by my Canadian buddy Pooker 3. She picked little old me for her "You're in Canada Now" RABCK and I'm just pleased as punch. Thanks for all the lovely books and stuff.
The strawberry maple tea may be more than I can legally tolerate, but I'll give it the old Michigan Try.
Blessings, KK

Journal Entry 5 by KarmelK at South Lyon Hotel in South Lyon, Michigan USA on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/7/2009 UTC) at South Lyon Hotel in South Lyon, Michigan USA

In the stack of high chairs between the rest rooms in the upstairs area.

Pook, I tried the tea. I wasn't my favorite, but it's drinkable. Thanks again for all the great Canadian stuff, I'm still enjoying it.