The Last Time They Met : A Novel

Registered by taaza of Madison, Wisconsin USA on 3/21/2006
Journal Entry 1 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Picked up at Madison-West Goodwill

Journal Entry 2 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 24, 2006
Traded to piper1 in Milwaukee - thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, April 29, 2006
Received in the mail from Taaza in Madison as part of a trade. My book will be going out to you today. Thanks for the trade.

Journal Entry 4 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 28, 2006
Oh my, this is a very good, interesting book. It's a love story. The book is in 3 parts and goes backwards in time. In the 1st part of the book Linda & Thomas are 52 yrs. old. They meet at a writer's conference. It's evident that they had a prior relationship. The author gives you hints & clues of what went on before.

The 2nd part of book takes place when Linda & Thomas are 26 yrs old. They meet by chance in Africa - both married to other people.

The last part takes place when they are 17 and have just meet. I don't want to give anything away, but trust me, you'll be glad you've read the entire book before making any judgements on it.

Thanks for the trade, Taaza, I really enjoyed it.

Available for trade or RABCK

Journal Entry 5 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 18, 2007
Mailed this book to BethanieKay in Texas as part of a trade. Hope you enjoy it - it''s a wonderful read.

Godspeed little book.........

Journal Entry 6 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Thursday, August 23, 2007
Received in the mail today as a trade from piper1. I've wanted to read this for a long time, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 7 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Sunday, December 16, 2007
Wow, I hate to say this ... and I rarely do say this about a book ... but this book was a total let-down. I have really loved all but one of Anita Shreve's other books, so it was shocking to me that this one was so bad. It was excruciatingly slow, extremely disjointed, way too wordy at times and completely lacking in detail at others, AND, to top it all off ... the end was horrible and shameful. By shameful, I mean that Shreve should be ashamed of herself for playing such a horrid trick on a reader who had just schlepped all the way through that disjointed and boring story, hoping to find redemption only to encounter trickery.

This story had potential - the characters seemed to have something interesting going on that made me willing to keep reading, even though I was not interested in reading about Africa and really couldn't stand all of the conversations being in italics - but the end just ruined it for me. I didn't think it was clever or amazing; I just thought it was a farce.

I am not sure what to do with this book. I can't, in good conscience, recommend it to anyone I know or like. I'll list it as AVL in case someone is looking for it, or will release it in the wild. Regardless, thanks to piper1 for sending me this as a trade.

Happy Holidays!

Journal Entry 8 by BethanieKay at Buon Giorno Coffee house in Grapevine, Texas USA on Monday, December 17, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (12/17/2007 UTC) at Buon Giorno Coffee house in Grapevine, Texas USA

Left this book on top of the book-trading shelf at the back of the coffee shop.