English Passengers

by Matthew Kneale | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_STP-921375 on 3/17/2006
Journal Entry 1 by rem_STP-921375 on Friday, March 17, 2006
"Synopsis
This novel tells two parallel stories: one of three eccentric Englishmen who set sail for Tasmania to find the garden of Eden; the other of a young Tasmanian aborigine and his tribe, struggling against the invading British, who prove as lethal in their good intentions as in their cruelty."

Journal Entry 2 by rem_STP-921375 on Monday, August 28, 2006
Sending to Cinnamon-Girl as part of a trade. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Hurrah! It arrived today - thanks so much for the trade. And thanks for the lovely postcard and bookmark!

Journal Entry 4 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Thursday, December 14, 2006
I finished this book a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it! Definitely one of my favorite reads this year. You can read more of my comments on this book here.

Thanks again for sending me the book, pennywhistler. I've decided to set this up as an international bookring to see what my fellow BookCrossers think of it.

Journal Entry 5 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Monday, February 12, 2007
This book is finally ready to begin it bookring journey so I'm mailing off to Cross-patch today ~ enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Thank you, Cinnamon-Girl. The English Passengers have arrived safely!

Journal Entry 7 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 31, 2007
Arrived this morning - thanks for sending it on!
Will read asap.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 01, 2007
I am sorry. I don't know how, but I forgot to do a report. ( I've been telling everybody else how much I enjoyed this book, though!)

I found English Passengers by Matthew Kneale to be an impressive book. It was so clever and absorbing, without being too smart for its own good. I particularly loved the use of language style to create the personality of characters. And I've learnt more about the way things were in the world of the 1800s than I'd even dreamt of before. I particularly enjoyed the early chapters written in the aborigine voice before I had worked out what was going on. Tongue in cheek humour had me hooked. Brilliant read.

Journal Entry 9 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
This was great, I really enjoyed it. Like Cross-patch I liked the use of lanuage & humour and especially liked the very satisfying ending!

Sending on to Drusillamac this week.

Journal Entry 10 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007
I caught this book in the post this morning. Thanks to Cinnamon-Girl for sharing this book and to cally-c for posting it onto me. Also extra thanks to cally-c for the RABCK in the parcel! It really made me smile :-)

Journal Entry 11 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, May 27, 2007
This book was a bit of a chore for me. I don't know if it came at the wrong time (it's exams for me at the moment) but I found it difficult for it to hold my attention. The Aboriginal dialect took a bit of getting used to and sometimes I had to re-read those sections to truly understand what had happened. Though the topics of racial history did give me some ideas for a Historiography exam!

The Reverend Wilson was my favourite character. His petty attempts to win one over Potter such as asking for a better cabin were hilarious. The record of where he ends up is rather fitting and his tip into insanity had me roaring with laughter especially when he kept stealing everyone's food!

I may get lynched for this but I can't see what all the fuss is about. Everyone seems to rave about this book. I must be missing something.

Journal Entry 12 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 04, 2007
I posted this book to Biblj this morning via air mail.

Journal Entry 13 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Friday, June 08, 2007
Received today ! Thanks for the card. I've just read a book with monkeys and a Discworld novel with the librarian (which is a monkey in case you happen not to have read this series) !
I may be a librarian in real life but I'm not a monkey... not as far as I remember ;-D
Thanks for sharing \o/

Journal Entry 14 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
I can't understand why I didn't manage to read this book : there were several voices, there was Tasmania, there was the time... I SHOULD HAVE READ IT !
But I didn't :-\
I was ill when I started to read it : maybe that's why I didn't try harder to get into it... I can't understand.
I'm a weird kind of reader. Sometimes I'm in the mood for "maritime books", sometimes I'm not ; sometimes I can read about "racism", sometimes I just can't bear to read of the pseudo-scientistic view of "race" :?
Fortunately enough my sister has this book so I may be reading it some other time.
I don't want to keep the book too long. So it will sent to the next bookcrosser soon.

Drusillamac, I've just saved you from being lynched : I'm the one who didn't READ the book so far ;-o

Journal Entry 15 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, June 25, 2007
Arrived safely, many thanks!
I'm looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 16 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Wednesday, July 04, 2007
What an amazing book. Nothing like anything I've ever read before!
I don't think I would have read this if I hadn't have joined this bookring. Many thanks for sharing.
Posting to samulli.

Journal Entry 17 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Saturday, July 21, 2007
Book arrived here yesterday. I don't have much time to read right now, because I've got guests staying for a few days, but I'll get to it as soon as I can manage.

Journal Entry 18 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Hm, it's probably my fault, but I just couldn't get into this book. It's one of those books that I always find an excuse to put aside after a few pages and then am reluctant to pick up again even when I have time to read. In the view of my monstrous Mt. TBR and the two other bookrings I have here I decided not to bother with it anymore, but send it on to the next person instead.
I guess it was mostly a problem with the subject matter that kept me drifting away. I'm not terribly interested in Aborigines and history per se. Also, the fact that I could not connect with any of the characters didn't help: the Englishmen were not so much eccentric as just plain stupid, especially the vicar as he is one of those religious nutters I despise wholeheartedly. Reading his passages just made me angry. Peevay was the most interesting narrator, but on the whole I didn't care what happened to him either.
It's probably a good book for all I know, it just didn't hold my attention at all. Thanks, Cinnamon-Girl, for letting me give it a try anyway. ;o)
I already have the next person's address and will send off the book tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by givebookstokids on Monday, August 20, 2007
It''s here!! Thanks so much for sending it on. I''m on page 2. I''ll send it on as soon as it''s finished. Thanks to all involved!

Journal Entry 20 by givebookstokids on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
I enjoyed this book. It really took concentration, but luckily was doing a lot of traveling when I received it, so I was able to get it read during the travel time. I found the Aboriginal history very interesting and plausible, comparing much of it to the Native Americans. I also enjoyed the "Captains" luck (good or bad) and the irony of it all. That lightened the mood for the story. Will send it onto the next reader. Thanks Cinnamon-Girl for starting the ring!

Journal Entry 21 by pixalu from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, September 14, 2007
Folks, sorry for the delay on this. I finished the book the other month and it got buried under some papers, so I haven't yet passed it on. My apologies. I really enjoyed it by the way. The characters were very interesting.

Journal Entry 22 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, January 10, 2008
(aka paulsbooks)
Thanks! I received this book today!

Journal Entry 23 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Sorry it has taken so long to get through this book! Thanks for sharing! I will pm and send this book on!

Journal Entry 24 by deadsteen from White Plains, New York USA on Friday, April 04, 2008
Arrived, finishing a big fat book before starting this one.
4/25-- I still have it, almost done with the 900+ pager, will start this one very soon.
5/7-- I'm about 150 pages into it and really enjoying it.

Journal Entry 25 by deadsteen from White Plains, New York USA on Thursday, May 22, 2008
I really enjoyed this book. I loved learning about the history of Tasmania and Flinders Island. The different voices that contributed to the story from their different perspectives was fascinating. And the fate of the various characters was perfect! Especially the good Doctor Potter. How ironic!

In the mail today to saram23.

Journal Entry 26 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, May 27, 2008
just got here today and the timing is perfect as I am just about to finish up another book. I will get started on this one so I can pass it on as quickly as possible.

Journal Entry 27 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2008
So it took me a little over a month to read, but it was a fun book. I am contacting MaryZee to pass it on.

Journal Entry 28 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Monday, July 28, 2008
Going on to MaryZee tomorrow! Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 29 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Arrived safely today. Perfect timing, since I finished an excellent book last night and couldn't decide what to follow it with. Choice made!

8/18 update - Since it's been a while, thought I'd better post an update. Finally making good progress thru the book. Expect to be finishing up either later in the week, or by the weekend. Then it will soon be off to Rrrcaron!

Journal Entry 30 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008
A big, sprawling adventure novel, about the British Empire at its height. Amazing how someone could travel halfway round the world and still be in the British Empire. Although in this tale, it was rather the dregs of the empire. Many diverse characters, from ship's captains to convicts to preachers to aborigines. Although Kneale managed to distinguish the many characters' voices, for some reason it seemed as though all the flipping back and forth between characters and times slowed the tale down. Once the timelines merged, I found this story much easier (and quicker) to read. However, I do enjoy trying different types of books, and this one qualified.

Thanks to Pennywhistler and Cinnamon-Girl for sharing this. I have Rrrcaron's address, and will soon be sending this on to her.

8/23 update - Mailed today to Rrrcaron.

Journal Entry 31 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 04, 2008
I received this book in the mail on Tuesday. I plan on starting it tonight after work!
Ruth

Journal Entry 32 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
I enjoyed the read, but I will admit I had a hard time here and there throughout the read. I felt bad for what the settlers did to the aboriginals. Kind of like the American Indian story. The search for the Garden of Eden was quite the story. Pastor Wilson never gave up,even against all the odds. The doc got his just rewards. I hated the way he took advantage of everything for his "research". Thanks for sharing this read. It will be on its way home as soon as I receive an address!
Ruth

Journal Entry 33 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Saturday, October 11, 2008
Another successful bookring! This book has arrived safely back home and I plan to wild release so some lucky reader will discover the extensive traveling this book has already done.

Thanks to all who joined the ring! I enjoyed reading your comments and watching this book's journey.

Released 11 yrs ago (5/25/2009 UTC) at Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant in Washington, District of Columbia USA

In the area visiting friends and went to this British-style pub for supper. Figured it was an appropriate place to leave this book. Happy travels!