Neverwhere

by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by AgnesXNitt of Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 3/15/2006
Journal Entry 1 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
As a big TP fan, I loved the collaboration book he wrote with Neil Gaiman - "Good Omens".
I've not read a Neil Gaimen novel before, so I thought I'd give this one a go (on half price offer at Bar Hill Tesco's).
I have started this, and its kinda odd, but okay so far.
(Notes made 14/03/06)

Journal Entry 2 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 4, 2007
Well its over a year later and I didn't get round to read it anymore. So in a moment of 'passing on the karma', I PM'd platypussj as this is on her wish list.
Enjoy!
Being posted off from Brampton Village Post Office this afternoon (04/05/07).

Journal Entry 3 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Thank you so much for this RABCK AgnesXNitt. Author's preferred text too - fabulous :0).

I am a very happy bunny!!!

Journal Entry 4 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, July 18, 2008
I loved reading this book - the idea of falling through the cracks is absolutely brilliant. I love all the characters and the story is scintillating. I seem to remember the serial for BBC2 being advertised but was unable to watch it at the time, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

This is just the sort of literature that floats my boat!

I'll pass it on in the manner in which it was sent to me - off to search wishlists, thanks again AgnesXNitt. xx

July 21 2008: Will send to stubee when I send him a Neil Gaiman bookring (Smoke & Mirrors). Both he and I were signed up for a Neverwhere bookring which appears to have stalled (apx 2 years ago and the originator of the ring cannot currently be contacted or I'd offer to use this copy as a replacement). I hope you enjoy, stubee.

Journal Entry 5 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2008
Thanks platypussj what an excellent surprise, thank you so much. I hope to read this soon once my TBR has died down a bit.

I'm going to offer this up as a replacement for dospescados ray, original journal entry is here.

I contacted all the members of the original ray about joining and I think I've had all the responses that I'm going to get. Thanks for everyone who PM'd me back regarding this.

The Rules:

- The person before you will PM you for your address, please PM them back with your address
- Please make a journal entry once you've received the book
- Please put the book at the top of your TBR pile but under other rings/rays that arrived first
- Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, try to finish it within one month)
- When you are close to the end, refer to the journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Once you finish the book, make another journal entry and let us know what you thought
- Please send the book to the next person on the list!
- If you are the last person please do whatever you like - release it into the wild, start another ring/ray or keep it if you want to!... Happy Reading!!

Mailing order (subject to change should new participants join):

stubee (me) (Bury, UK - Int)
mazzlestar (Leeds, UK - UK/EU)
lucy-lemon (Bangor, Gwynedd, UK - UK pref/EU if nec.)
kizmiaz (Lisbon, Belém, Portugal - EU) skipped.
wanderingstar8 (London, UK - Int)
gkkk4 (Franklin, MA, USA - US pref.)
carelaisa (Quebec, Quebec , Canada - US/Canada)
CynthiaA (Brantford, Ontario, Canada - Int)
lauraloo29 (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - int'l)
spy-there (Zurich, Switzerland) Skipped
marko167 (Sitges, Barcelona, Spain - int'l)
Lisagt (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia - OZ Pref)
catbot (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - OZ Pref) [at the end]

The book has reached it's final destination and therefore the ray is at an end.

Journal Entry 6 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 5, 2008
I started reading this on the train on my way back to Manchester after a meeting in London; I liked what I've read so far but it's a bit confusing and weird [what else should I expect from Gaiman!] but I'm sure it’ll start falling into place soon.

Journal Entry 7 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, November 14, 2008
Another fantastic read from Gaiman, I loved all the imagery of London Below and the characters are all fascinating in their own ways.

I've got an address for mazzlestar so this will be making it's way over the Pennines shortly.

Thanks again platypussj for remembering me and sending this on, much appreciated.

Next Up: Mark Skelton - The Monkey Pirates

Journal Entry 8 by mazzlestar from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 22, 2008
Dropped through my letterbox this morning - have another ray to finish first but will get on this one ASAP :)

Journal Entry 9 by mazzlestar from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
I loved this book - I wanted to give the last pages another quick read before I passed it on but other rays got in the way, now I've received my own copy from the lovely Releanna so I'll be sending this to lucy-lemon tomorrow!

Journal Entry 10 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Arrived safely, and I'm looking forward to reading it. Have about 5 bookrings in front of it, so thank god it's Christmas!

Journal Entry 11 by wanderingstar8 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 17, 2009
just received - really looking forward to reading (although I have another bookring to go first)

Journal Entry 12 by wanderingstar8 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 3, 2009
I read Gaiman's American Gods a few months ago, after seeing Gaiman on stage at a gig by one of my favourite singers, Amanda Palmer. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was blown away.

Unfortunately, this one didn't do very much for me. Maybe part of that's because my expectations were much higher, but I just don't think this one was as good.

I really like the premise - the idea of a parallel universe beneath London, where the people who "fall through the cracks" in our society end up. But the character from our world who ends up there, Richard, seems ludicrously slow on the uptake, and it's full of bad jokes - an angel called Islington? Really?

Journal Entry 13 by gkkk4 from Millis, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 21, 2009
Received this book the other day from wanderingstar8, it's next on my TBR list, will journal when done. Thanks for including me in the list.

Journal Entry 14 by gkkk4 from Millis, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 29, 2009
I have not read anything else of Neil Gaiman's, nor did I see the movie of Stardust. So I came to this book pretty much without preconceptions. For that reason, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's a pretty fast read, and an enjoyable story of the maturing and growth, in a very unusual way, of a pretty shallow and thoughtless young man in contemporary London. The writing and dialogue are fun; the characters interestingly developed. I liked the concept of there being an entirely unknown world under the deepest parts of the city - unknown to the average citizen in "London Above". I especially liked the character of Islington - and won't say more, because if you're on the list to read this, you'll find out for yourself, and if you're not, you should read it anyway!

I'll PM the next reader in line and send off as soon as I have an address. Thanks for adding me to the list!

Journal Entry 15 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Friday, April 17, 2009
Received the book today! I will start reading it as soon as I have finished reading the book I'm currently reading.
Thanks to stubee for sharing the book with us and to gkkk4 for sending it my way :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
It's the 1st book that I'm reading by this author and I must say that I loved it!!! The characters are really attaching, we get quite easily into the story and the narration is well done! I got into it without any preconceptions about the novel or the author, which was a good thing. I did see the movie adaptation of another novel of his, Stardust, but I didn't think about that while reading. I'm definitely reading the other novels by this author, he's now part of my list of authors that I must read the books!!

I already have the address of the next person in line; I just need to make myself go to the post office and send it... which I should do by Friday of this week. Anyway, I'll edit this post when the book will be mailed.

EDIT: I mailed the book on May 1st to the next participant, CynthiaA.

Journal Entry 17 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 4, 2009
Arrived today, safe and sound. A timely arrival, too, as my 8 yr old son and I just picked up Coraline from the library last week, and my 15 yr old happens to be reading The Graveyard Book right now. It's the All-Gaiman family for awhile. :o)

Journal Entry 18 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 21, 2009
This was my first Gaiman novel and I really liked it. I happened to be reading Coraline along with my 9 year old son as well this month, so it was fun to compare the two.

Gaiman is a clever writer and I enjoyed his mythical land completely. I would love to see a sequel to this at some point... or at least more stories set in the mythical land he has created here.

Its off to lauraloo tomorrow.

Journal Entry 19 by CynthiaA at on Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (6/2/2009 UTC) at

Off to lauraloo today.

Journal Entry 20 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Arrived safe and sound today. I have a couple of rings, but I will keep it moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 21 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 3, 2009
Original! Loved this book.

spy-there already has a copy. This will be going in the mail to marko167 tomorrow. THank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 22 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Monday, September 7, 2009
Was in my letterbox waiting for me last week.

Will read asap.

Many thanks,

M.

Journal Entry 23 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Really enjoyed this book, have previously read American Gods and Good Omens and can confirm that Gaiman is one of my top notch authors. Liked the characters and especially the badasses. Comedy mixed with adventure.

Many thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 24 by marko167 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/3/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off it flies to a place named after a very nice town in North Devon..... is that a swimming pool I see, lucky gits!

Journal Entry 25 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 20, 2009
Arrived safely; looking forward to reading this; thanx for sharing!!

Journal Entry 26 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, January 23, 2010
Have just returned from two weeks holidays and I am pleased to say that I have now read Neverwhere and I am (to quote platypussj) happy! Another fine story from a master storyteller. I just love everything this guy writes (including his picturebook The day I swapped my dad for a goldfish ~ don't you LOVE that title and that concept?) But back to THIS book, sorry, Neil Gaiman has a grand imagination and I love getting lost in his other worlds! I'd love to see the series that platypussj mentioned...Thanx for the opportunity to read and enjoy this book.
I have PMed catbot and will happily pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 27 by Lisagt at Hammondville, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 29, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/29/2010 UTC) at Hammondville, New South Wales Australia

Posted off to catbot.

Journal Entry 28 by catbot from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 3, 2010
what a successful ray! this is next on my TBRs :)