Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast

by Charlie Connelly | Travel |
Registered by sally906 of Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on 3/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, March 12, 2006
This solemn, rhythmic intonation of the shipping forecast on BBC radio is as familiar as the sound of Big Ben chiming the hour. Since its first broadcast in the 1920s it has inspired poems, songs and novels in addition to its intended objective of warning generations of seafarers of impending storms and gales. Sitting at home listening to the shipping forecast can be a cosily reassuring experience. There's no danger of a westerly gale eight, veering southwesterly increasing nine later (visibility poor) gusting through your average suburban living room, blowing the Sunday papers all over the place and startling the cat. Yet familiar though the sea areas are by name, few people give much thought to where they are or what they contain. In ATTENTION ALL SHIPPING Charlie Connelly wittily explores the places behind the voice, those mysterious regions whose names seem often to bear no relation to conventional geography. Armchair travel will never be the same again.

Journal Entry 2 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, February 27, 2008
My father was a sea Captain - as a child i could recite all the different weather regeons - and listen rapt as the forecaster intoned all the shipping forecasts for the regions. Was especially precious when my father was actually at sea.

This was a trip down memory lane - and is a great travel book

Passed on to amberc as she picked it out of the virtual bookbox

Journal Entry 4 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, April 18, 2008
Picked up at today's meet-up.

Journal Entry 5 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, May 10, 2009
I loved this book. It was laugh-out-loud funny in places and had me chuckling to myself a lot. There are a few more places I would like to visit added to my wishlist and a few that I don't want to go anywhere near.

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention Sally, it's a real gem.

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing at BookObssesed exchange, Exchange -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/3/2009 UTC) at BookObssesed exchange, Exchange -- Controlled Releases

August Be An Angel Exchange‏

Journal Entry 7 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 21, 2009
This looks really good. Thank you amberc. :)

Released 3 yrs ago (4/17/2016 UTC) at Vinnie's Thrift Store, Ruthven St in Toowoomba, Queensland Australia