Blind Assassin

by Margaret Atwood | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 038572084x Global Overview for this book
Registered by stephen-1702 of Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on 3/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by stephen-1702 from Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Sunday, March 12, 2006
"the first great novel of the new millenium" (newsday)

Journal Entry 2 by stephen-1702 from Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Friday, April 04, 2008
sent to fellow bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Sunday, April 20, 2008
Got this book sometime during the last two weeks - I have been very stressed lately - which is the reasonfor this late registration.

I look forward to reading it. Thanks so much stephen-1702...

Journal Entry 4 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Monday, September 08, 2008
Got a Danish copy of this book in a bag of books my mother gave me this weekend! So I'll read that one instead - and make this one avaliable for anyone who wish to read it!

Journal Entry 5 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Monday, September 15, 2008
I've only ever read one Margaret Atwood book but can't wait to read more from this author. Hopefully, this book will live up to my expectations.

Thanks christina82 for passing this on to me

Journal Entry 6 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Wednesday, October 01, 2008
I came across an incredibly cheap hardback version of this book today, and I couldn't help it - I just had to buy it.

Thus, this book is ready to continue its journey - hopefully as a bookray so as many as possible get a chance to read it.

Edit: Oct. 6:

Ray participants: (The list might change if more people sign up)

Soft-Landing (US)
rockyhorror1978 (Canada)
jneni (Singapore) <-- The book is here
Jonniboi (UK) (UK)
jellyfish67 (UK)

Journal Entry 7 by DitteL at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark on Friday, October 17, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/17/2008 UTC) at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark

The book is travelling to the US as a ray.

Safe journey little book.

Journal Entry 8 by Soft-Landing from Fresno, California USA on Saturday, October 25, 2008
I received this book in Fresno, CA, USA on October 25. Since I am leaving for a 2-week cruise on October 27, it's wonderful to be able to take this book along with me. Will send it on when I return. Thanks for sharing. Soft-Landing

Journal Entry 9 by Soft-Landing from Fresno, California USA on Friday, December 05, 2008
This was quite a book. I'm sending it on to valpete today (December 5th) I hope you enjoy it.

Soft-Landing

Journal Entry 10 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, December 13, 2008
Thanks for sending this book along. It looks quite formidable! I've started it and will move it along as quickly as I can.

I was a little unsure whether I would like this book and now that I've finished it, I'm still not sure. With all the complex layers of the story, I think I would have to reread it to be sure I understood it all (and I don't have the patience nor the time to do that). The writing is beautifully and thoughtfully written - so many phrases that I just loved.

Truly, a memorable book.

...and now off to Ciloma.

Journal Entry 11 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Saturday, January 17, 2009
Discovered this one in my mailbox today. Thanx Valpete!!

Journal Entry 12 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Saturday, January 24, 2009
I enjoyed reading this book - It would have been nicer for me if it had been about 150 pages shorter though. I loved the rambling descriptions and comments about things. Some of them were definitely 'keepers' - like the one about it being easier to understand the dead than to even begin to understand the living. I had a time with the typos, too. Lots of W's that should have been 'fi' and vice versa. They caught me up at times and broke up my reading cadence - not a major big deal but very annoying at times. Thanx for sharing this book. I appreciate your generosity. Expect to get to town to get it mailed on the 27th.

Journal Entry 13 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Friday, January 30, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/29/2009 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

Mailed this one to oliviapoolside as brianset said he had too much on his plate to read it right now. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, February 01, 2009
Got it, and thankyou! I'm reading something else right now but will get to it after that.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, February 09, 2009
Sublime and transcendent, the kind of writing where each word has texture and contains light and temperature, smells of the time and place. The story is of two sisters, caught likes flies in amber, artifacts under glass, as the lives have already passed by the time we read them. There is a feeling of omniscience as we read this book, as we observe the characters living their lives, making choices that aren't really choices at all. But at the heart there was the heat we call love, and this is where we connect as living creatures to those who we read about, with a feeling of, ah you have lived also. I thought it was a phenomenal piece of writing.

Journal Entry 16 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/11/2009 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Sent to Mrsboknows in S. Carolina

Journal Entry 17 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Saturday, February 14, 2009
The book arrived today and it 3rd in line TBR. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Friday, March 20, 2009
Finally. . .a book that deserves to be on the 1001 list. After a heap of books that disappointed me it was so refreshing to read a book from this list that I actually wanted to take my time with, to truly enjoy. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I look forward to more from this author.

Journal Entry 19 by PalmettoBuckeye at Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/7/2009 UTC) at Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA

Off to New York to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 20 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, April 11, 2009
I just got this book in the mail! I'm actually in the middle of another Atwood bookring book at the moment (Alias Grace), but when I finish I will delve into this one. Thanks for adding me to the list!

Journal Entry 21 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Thursday, May 28, 2009
i totally forgot i had signed for this book!
i have a couple of books to finish first, and then i'll attack this one. if i haven't touched it in a month, i'll sent it anyway.

Journal Entry 22 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, July 13, 2009
i really liked it. i first thought this was way too big of a novel to start reading (i had so many things on the go), but i found the story and the characters really interesting, and the style definitely excellent. i liked how the book was composed, with the mixing of extracts of the "blind assassin" with the novel, and the newspaper clips. it was a really good book!

contacting the next person in line, and hoping to send the book on its way asap.

p.s: same comment as ciloma: some typos (or computer bug?) drove me nuts (i admit i circled a few), where "W" and "fi" where mixed, so you would have the name "Winnifred" transformed into "fiinnifred". annoying.

Journal Entry 23 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Received today. I have one book ahead of it and then I will read and pass on to the next person!

Journal Entry 24 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
It took me a while to get into this book and for a while I thought that it wasn't my cup of tea. But as the plot slowly revealed itself, I became more interested in reading it. The way that the different story lines intertwined and the gradual revelation about the Blind Assassin is done well. One of the most enjoyable aspects of the book is the backdrop of Red Fear and the historical events of industrialism and the war. While I agree with ciloma that the book could have been a few pages shorter, it was still an enjoyable read. The typos were a bit annoying at times as well (I'm sure fiinefred would agree! :))

I have jneni's address and will forward the book to her. Thanks to DitteL for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 25 by rockyhorror1978 at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, August 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/10/2009 UTC) at Singapore, Singapore Singapore

This book is continuing it's journey as a bookray to jneni. Enjoy!