Cowboys Are My Weakness

by Pam Houston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BMVCOE of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 3/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BMVCOE from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Lol, for some reason I just find the title of this book very amusing...especially now that "Brokeback Mountain" has won such acclaim...

Journal Entry 2 by BMVCOE from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, April 17, 2006
Short stories are not really my thing, much less stories about outdoors-y women looking for love. But I was really surprised to come across a story I had read in high school in a creative writing class, the one about winter camping. I'd remembered it as being longer...and better. It's interesting the way our perceptions of books change depending on the context, and how they change over time. All in all, this is pretty honest-feeling literature about being attracted to something you know is not going to work out for you in the end.

Journal Entry 3 by BMVCOE from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Saturday, May 20, 2006
Sent off to KarmelK! Thanks for giving this book a new home!

Journal Entry 4 by KarmelK from Jerome, Michigan USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Recieved in the mail from BMVCOE today. This was a RABCK, and a very kind thing to do. Thank you so much K. I'll probably hang on to it til the Cowboy and Western Challenge next year!
From the pic on the cover I'm thinking more broke-bed than broke-back.LOL
This looks like a 10 so far. I read the first story and it was well written.
Looking forward to the rest.

Journal Entry 5 by KarmelK from Jerome, Michigan USA on Saturday, June 03, 2006
Well, this was very good. No happy endings, though.:^( I was so ready for the sequel where the right guy comes alone and they ride into the sunset. Somehow, I don't think it's gonna happen for the amalgamated chick this book was patterned after (the author?) But still a good quick read, and she writes very well. Might look for her others books.
Sorry to say I won't be releasing this for the Cowboy and Western Challenge because, happily, it's been entered in the Well Travelled Wild Release Challenge.

Released 13 yrs ago (6/6/2006 UTC) at Well Traveled Wild Release Challenge Member in Media Mail, USPS -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Erishigal in Utah who will send this baby on until it reaches amermaid in Yosemite.

Journal Entry 7 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
arrived in today's mail and have already read the first two stories.....this is gonna be goooooooood

Journal Entry 8 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, June 19, 2006
oh yeah.....this is really good! SOooooooooo glad it wasn't a romance. Yup, no heaving breasts, no riding off into the sunset. At least not together. The only happy ending here is some psychological growth of the protaganist. She's gutsy, outdoorsy, intelligent , and co-dependent.

I absolutely loved this book!! And were it mine to release, I'd have had the perfect place, as I finished it this weekend while white-water rafting on the Green River. Well, not actually while rafting---lol. But it's not, so now I'm back in town, and mañana these seductive cowboys will be loping on to yokeye.

I'm much better off with cowponies.

Journal Entry 9 by yokaye on Friday, June 23, 2006
Just rec'd today from Erichkigal - with a beautiful postcard and the rest of the well-travelled bookmarks. Thank you! It looks good, I'll get to it ASAP so I can get this one travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 10 by yokaye on Saturday, July 15, 2006
This book illustrates perfectly why I love bookcrossing.com so much. I probably would NEVER have picked this up on my own, since I tend to avoid romances and westerns, and that's exactly what the title and cover suggest. But thanks to the other participants who talked about this book, I was interested. So I've had yet another good-book experience thanks to bookcrossing.

I may not have had such a scenic place to read it as Erishkigal, but it took me away for a moment so I could imagine it instead. :-)
I was pleasantly surprised. There was one story that I skimmed over, and another I didn't finish. All of the others I read and enjoyed. Even if life on a ranch or winter camping isn't a part of my life, there was something in every story I could relate to.

These cowboys will be heading west to California this week to visit with sha before riding out to Yosemite. Enjoy, gals, but don't let them break your heart! :)

Journal Entry 11 by yokaye on Saturday, July 22, 2006
The Cowboys are on the move! Mailed to sha 7/20/06

Journal Entry 12 by wingshawing from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
received this book today & decided to read it due the many positive JE, then it's on its way to Yosemite (lucky book)

Journal Entry 13 by wingshawing from San Diego, California USA on Friday, August 04, 2006
I am a total bibliophile and truly a wilderness phobic, I love reading my books under a cloudy dismal day (this doesn’t happen much in San Diego) or under an umbrella by the pool and the most outdoorsy I get is by the bay under a really big tent overhang. My vision of cowboys and the great outdoors is spiders, snakes, creepy crawly things and great looking men with the minds of tiny ants. Having said this I must admit I really liked this book and admire Ms. Houston’s love for the outdoors.

dual release for the keep em moving & the well travelled challenges

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, sha, as the member who referred you. If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and Happy Crossing!
p.s. You don’t have to read the book

Journal Entry 15 by amermaid at Post Office in Yosemite National Park, California USA on Monday, October 23, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (10/14/2006 UTC) at Post Office in Yosemite National Park, California USA

this book was relased on a boulder that is between the blue post office drop box and the bike rack in front of the front doors of the Yosemite Valley Post Office.