Blood Memory : A Novel

by Greg Iles | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Lynden, Washington USA on 3/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
From Publishers Weekly
Iles's previous thriller, 2003's provocative The Footprints of God, featured an omnipotent supercomputer and an on-the-run duo racing around the globe from North Carolina to Jerusalem. This time, Iles returns to more familiar ground: Natchez, Miss.; New Orleans; and the Mississippi delta, where a serial predator has been killing middle-aged men. Forensic odontologist Cat Ferry, an expert on teeth and the damage they can inflict, is called in by the New Orleans PD to explain the bite marks found on the bodies. Cat, the alcoholic granddaughter of Dr. William Kirkland, owner of the sprawling Malmaison estate and the richest, most powerful man in Natchez, has solved previous murders with her married detective lover, Sean Regan. This time, though, she's pregnant with Sean's baby, and this plus the discovery of old bloody footprints hidden in the carpet fibers of her Malmaison childhood bedroom threaten to plummet her into the depression that's plagued her since she was 15. She thinks one footprint might be hers, made on the night her father died of an ill-explained gunshot wound. Iles weaves in dark strains of child sexual abuse and the resulting repressed memories as Cat searches for the serial killer and for answers about her father's death. This overlong novel lacks the scintillating originality that made Iles's last outing so memorable, but he ties up all the loose ends in an exciting climax.

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Friday, March 10, 2006
Mailing out to krin511 - through titletrader! ENJOY!

Journal Entry 3 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Arrived today - thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
I decided to start a bookring with this book. Here are the participants so far (in order):

surmisez (MA) (US/Canada)
JeepACV (MD) (US preferred)
krin511 (MD)

Mailed to surmisez.

Journal Entry 6 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Received in mail today.

Thanks, krin511, for including me in your BookRing.

I'll get on this right away -- it's huge, 764 pages.

Journal Entry 7 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, August 21, 2006
Wow! When I first saw the book had 700+ pages, I figured it would take me a couple of weeks to finish it. But once I started reading it, it drew me in pretty quick.

I figured out that "Grandpapa" was a "dirty olé bastard" pretty quick. However, I was pretty amazed at the rest of the story.

Thanks again, krin511, for including me in your BookRing!

Am PM'ing JeepACV for her address.

Journal Entry 8 by surmisez at controlled release in controlled release, APO/AE -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/30/2006 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, APO/AE -- Controlled Releases

Mailing back to krin511 as the BookRing stalled.

Journal Entry 9 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Friday, November 10, 2006
The book arrived home last week. Thanks to all who participated.

Journal Entry 10 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Friday, August 03, 2007
Buried in this massive book are two compelling mysteries - a serial murder case set in New Orleans, Louisiana, and a more personal family drama set in Natchez, Mississippi. While both stories interested me and were well written, I found myself wondering whether a third of the book could have been cut without compromising the plot. That said, the story illustrates well the issues of repressed memory, child abuse, family secrets and revenge.

Mailed to redhot-brat!

Journal Entry 12 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2007
This has arrived safely. Thank You for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 13 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, January 05, 2010
An awesome read. This is my fourth book by Iles and I can't wait to get my hands on the next oned. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with me. As rosie has said she doesn't mind books going to the bookstore - I am adding it to the shelves. If you've changed your mind Rosie let m,e know & I will remove it to the OBCZ area instead. Thanks again for sharing it.

Journal Entry 14 by redhot-brat at BrightEyes Books in Delavan, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/5/2010 UTC) at BrightEyes Books in Delavan, Minnesota USA

Added to the shelves at ....

BrightEyes Books