Good Grief

Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 3/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, March 6, 2006
Sending to Ri as a surprise RABCK

From Publishers Weekly
"The grief is up already. It is an early riser, waiting with its gummy arms wrapped around my neck, its hot, sour breath in my ear." Sophie Stanton feels far too young to be a widow, but after just three years of marriage, her wonderful husband, Ethan, succumbs to cancer. With the world rolling on, unaware of her pain, Sophie does the only sensible thing: she locks herself in her house and lives on what she can buy at the convenience store in furtive midnight shopping sprees. Everything hurts—the telemarketers asking to speak to Ethan, mail with his name on it, his shirts, which still smell like him. At first Sophie is a "good" widow, gracious and melancholy, but after she drives her car through the garage door, something snaps; she starts showing up at work in her bathrobe and hiding under displays in stores. Her boss suggests she take a break, so she sells her house and moves to Ashland, Ore., to live with her best friend, Ruth, and start over. Grief comes along, too—but with a troubled, pyromaniac teen assigned to her by a volunteer agency, a charming actor dogging her and a new job prepping desserts at a local restaurant, Sophie is forced to explore the misery that has consumed her. Throughout this heartbreaking, gorgeous look at loss, Winston imbues her heroine and her narrative with the kind of grace, bitter humor and rapier-sharp realness that will dig deep into a reader's heart and refuse to let go. Sophie is wounded terribly, but she's also funny, fresh and utterly believable. There's nary a moment of triteness in this outstanding debut

Journal Entry 2 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, March 24, 2006
Wow! This was a surprise, alsgal!! I was racking my brain trying to think if this was from a swap or a relay, but then I saw that it was a surprise RABCK. How thoughtful! Thanks too for the notepad. So cute! I am really still quite stunned! Many, many thanks!!

Journal Entry 3 by DreamworldBooks on Wednesday, August 2, 2006
Yay! Thanks so much for sending this to me. I've been wanting to read it for such a long time! I really appreciate it. :)

Journal Entry 4 by DreamworldBooks on Thursday, November 16, 2006
I absolutely LOVED this book! I flew through it and thought it was so well written. I was surprised to find out that the author hasn't lost a husband herself, as the book was extremely descriptive. I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Crystal and Sophie the best, and was pleasantly surprised when Crystal wasn't just another "phase" of the book. Excellent reading! Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

Released 14 yrs ago (1/24/2007 UTC) at Hewlitt-Packard, E Rockrimmon Blvd in Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

I left this book on the free community bookshelf in Core 5.
If anyone outside of HP wants this book, please let me know and I'll snatch it back and put it aside! :) Just PM me.