Love, Rosie

by Cecelia Ahern | Women's Fiction |
Registered by SheWhoReads of Athens, Georgia USA on 3/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Friday, March 03, 2006
Registered for the Race to Three Million challenge.

Book Description:

Rosie and Alex are destined for one another, and everyone but them seems to realize it. Rosie's best friend since childhood, Alex never did live down the fact that he didn't invite her to his all-boys 10th birthday party. But that wasn't a mistake he'd repeat, and they had been inseparable after that ..until the day Alex got the news that his family was moving to Boston. At seventeen, Rosie and Alex are starting to see each other differently, and the move separates them just when their relationship seems as if it will finally turn romantic. Devastated, the two make plans for Rosie to apply to colleges in the U.S. Rosie gets into Boston University, Alex gets into Harvard, and everything is falling into place, when on the eve of her departure, Rosie gets news that will change their lives forever: Rosie is pregnant. And the father is not Alex. Her dreams for college, Alex, and a glamorous career are dashed against harsh reality, and Rosie stays in Dublin to become a single mother, while Alex pursues a medical career. As the years pass, the two continue to interact, but can't seem to find each other at the right time. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel, structured as a series of clever e-mails, letters, notes, and a trail of missed opportunities, Alex and Rosie will find out that fate isn't done with them yet. From the hugely talented author of PS, I LOVE YOU, this is a funny, romantic, surprising novel that is impossible to put down.

Journal Entry 2 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Sunday, March 26, 2006
I enjoyed reading this; it was fun and light and funny, but with some more serious, truthful moments. A nice combination. I also enjoyed the format of letters, emails, instant messages, and chat room conversations -- a modern twist on the classic epistolary novel. I do have to say, however, that sometimes I just got incredibly frustrated with the main characters -- I wanted to jump into the novel give them both a big smack upside the head! They spend almost the entire book missing opportunities to admit their feelings to each other and get together. It's not a short book either -- I was ready for Rosie and Alex to get together about 300 pages before they actually did. Very frustrating. But I suppose the fact that I cared enough to get frustrated is the mark of a good author!

Journal Entry 3 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Monday, June 26, 2006
I just gave this book to my sister, a non-BXer. Hopefully she'll release it after she's done reading it!