Me Talk Pretty One Day

by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by LaFlaca1226 of Laurel, Maryland USA on 3/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by LaFlaca1226 from Laurel, Maryland USA on Friday, March 03, 2006
Okay, this is my own release challenge - can I give up a book that I REALLY loved? Yes, I think I can.

From Amazon.com
David Sedaris became a star autobiographer on public radio, onstage in New York, and on bestseller lists, mostly on the strength of "SantaLand Diaries," a scathing, hilarious account of his stint as a Christmas elf at Macy's. (It's in two separate collections, both worth owning, Barrel Fever and the Christmas-themed Holidays on Ice.) Sedaris's caustic gift has not deserted him in his fourth book, which mines poignant comedy from his peculiar childhood in North Carolina, his bizarre career path, and his move with his lover to France. Though his anarchic inclination to digress is his glory, Sedaris does have a theme in these reminiscences: the inability of humans to communicate. The title is his rendition in transliterated English of how he and his fellow students of French in Paris mangle the Gallic language. In the essay "Jesus Shaves," he and his classmates from many nations try to convey the concept of Easter to a Moroccan Muslim. "It is a party for the little boy of God," says one. "Then he be die one day on two... morsels of... lumber," says another. Sedaris muses on the disputes between his Protestant mother and his father, a Greek Orthodox guy whose Easter fell on a different day. Other essays explicate his deep kinship with his eccentric mom and absurd alienation from his IBM-exec dad: "To me, the greatest mystery of science continues to be that a man could father six children who shared absolutely none of his interests."
Every glimpse we get of Sedaris's family and acquaintances delivers laughs and insights. He thwarts his North Carolina speech therapist ("for whom the word pen had two syllables") by cleverly avoiding all words with s sounds, which reveal the lisp she sought to correct. His midget guitar teacher, Mister Mancini, is unaware that Sedaris doesn't share his obsession with breasts, and sings "Light My Fire" all wrong--"as if he were a Webelo scout demanding a match." As a remarkably unqualified teacher at the Art Institute of Chicago, Sedaris had his class watch soap operas and assign "guessays" on what would happen in the next day's episode.

It all adds up to the most distinctively skewed autobiography since Spalding Gray's Swimming to Cambodia. The only possible reason not to read this book is if you'd rather hear the author's intrinsically funny speaking voice narrating his story. In that case, get Me Talk Pretty One Day on audio.

Journal Entry 2 by LaFlaca1226 from Laurel, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 04, 2006
I'm mailing this off today to a PaperBackSwap member.

Journal Entry 3 by xopinkmoonxo from Brookeville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Just got this book from PaperBackSwap.com and I can't wait to read it! I'll put up a review when i've finished & passed it along to another reader!

CAUGHT IN BROOKEVILLE MD USA

Journal Entry 4 by xopinkmoonxo from Brookeville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 26, 2006
Just finished. Really funny collection of random life stories. Sending this one back out via PaperBackSwap so someone else can enjoy it.