Monstrous Regiment (Discworld S.)

by Terry Pratchett | Humor |
Registered by Scarlett17 of Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 02, 2006
I've read some Pratchett before and loved two, hated two. Decided this one would be the decider as to whether to read more of his work or just abandon it entirely!

Journal Entry 2 by Scarlett17 from Bexley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006
Again, I'm still not sure after reading this if I'm a fan of Pratchett's work or not. It was an amusing story which started quickly and kept up the pace most of the way through (I did feel it flagging a little by the end though). What puts me off is that, for me, he seems to try a little too hard in some of the humourous aspects of the narrative. Perhaps I'm making too much of a comparison, but I find his humour very similar to that of the late Douglas Adams. Unfortunately, where the comedy in both characters and narrative seemed to come naturally to Adams, for Pratchett it comes across, to me at least, as forced in places and it makes him sound rather pompous and unnatural. A shame.

Journal Entry 3 by Scarlett17 at Fitness First Cardiff West in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 16, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (4/16/2006 UTC) at Fitness First Cardiff West in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Journal Entry 4 by xpatjock from Cumnock, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 01, 2007
Found it in Fitness First Cardiff West. Took it on Holiday to Scotland. One of the few Discworld books I haven't read. (Started with Small Gods)

CAUGHT IN CARDIFF GLAMORGAN WALES