Labyrinth

by Kate Mosse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by nyassa-ici on 3/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by nyassa-ici on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Synopsis from Amazon

When Dr Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons during an archaeological dig in southern France, she unearths a link with a horrific and brutal past. But it's not just the sight of the shattered bones that makes her uneasy; there's an overwhelming sense of evil in the tomb that Alice finds hard to shake off, even in the bright French sunshine. Puzzled by the words carved inside the chamber, Alice has an uneasy feeling that she has disturbed something which was meant to remain hidden... Eight hundred years ago, on the night before a brutal civil war ripped apart Languedoc, a book was entrusted to Alais, a young herbalist and healer. Although she cannot understand the symbols and diagrams the book contains, Alais knows her destiny lies in protecting their secret, at all costs. Skilfully blending the lives of two women divided by centuries but united by a common destiny, LABYRINTH is a powerful story steeped in the atmosphere and history of southern France.

Journal Entry 2 by nyassa-ici on Thursday, March 02, 2006
I've read very varying reviews about this book. The people who seem most disappointed would appear to have read that the story is very like The Da Vinci Code. It isn't. Personally I found it a great deal more meaty and feel encouraged to find out more on Cathar history. The Da Vinci Code seems so much more shallow in retrospect.

I loved the settings in Carcassone and Chartres because I know both and so could "see" the sourroundings and scenery. It all came to life very vividly. One reviewer says "Labyrinth is saturated with a passionate understanding of the region's past in a way that puts more conventional historical accounts to shame." Absolutely true - it was fascinating.

Saying all that, however, it is a very long book and I do feel it wasn't really necessary, especially where it comes to the battles. Some of the descriptions are, to my mind, unnecessarily gory.

Nevertheless, I shall be offering this as a ray I think, because so many people have it on their wish lists.

Journal Entry 3 by nyassa-ici on Wednesday, March 29, 2006
I have all the participants now and it is ready to be on its way. The rules are the normal ones, please journal on receipt and when finshed, and please don't hang on to the book for too long without letting us know what is happening.

Most importantly, I hope you all enjoy it!

Participants

heathwitch
fredam
Hellie
Robmonster

Journal Entry 4 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 28, 2006
This big fat paperback (the bigger the better in my book - no pun intended) arrived yesterday and I've already started reading it. I just know I'm going to like it, it really is my kind of book.

Many thanks to nyassa-ici for offering this book as a Ring, as I've been keen to read it for a while.

Journal Entry 5 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 05, 2006
I've read a lot about the Cathars in the past and can say that the factual side of the book seems spot on. I agree with nyassa-ici, I found the story very gory in places and preferred to read about Alice in 2005, than Alias in the twelve century, because it felt 'safer' to read Alice's adventures.

Although I enjoyed the book, I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was mainly set in 2005, with flashbacks to the ancient past.

I also agree with nyassa-ici in that towards the end, I was starting to feel there needed to be a conclusion to the story, but the 'drama' was spun out just a little too long for my liking.

I still gave the book 7 out of 10 because it was about something I'm interested in anyway, and overall, I enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 6 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, May 12, 2006
Just to say that the book has arrived safely with me. I have a couple of other rings ahead of this one - I am still such a newbie! I am looking forward to reading this book as I have found the mixed reviews it has received intriguing!

Journal Entry 7 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, May 28, 2006
I found this book enjoyable but ultimately dissatisfying as I just couldn't engage with any of the characters enough to care about what happened to them. I also found one particular element of the story preposterous and as I am interested in all things magical and 'supernatural' and can usually suspend disbelief when reading books of this nature, I can only feel that this highlights a major flaw in the book. Having said that it was an interesting read and I have read worse.

So thank you nyassa-ici for sending this out, together with the views of the area, which helped me to visualise how things may have looked in the thirteenth century.

Will get this off to dagett as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 05, 2006
Book posted off to Dagett today.

Journal Entry 9 by dagett from Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Thursday, June 08, 2006
The book arrived today and it looks gorgeous - big, appealing and mysterious! Thank you Kitkat8 and nyassa-ici! I'll start reading right away.

Journal Entry 10 by dagett from Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Thursday, July 06, 2006
I was so pleased when I recieved this book and then life interfered and I couldn't concentrate on it! I don't blame the book, I guess I would have liked it, but now I can't even tell what I have been reading, because my mind was constantly wandering off. Things are straightening out now, but this book has to travel on. Maybe I'll get a copy of my own and reread it when I'm more relaxed :)
Thanks for sharing everyone!

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 14, 2006
The book arrived today. Thanks for sending it, dagett, and for holding on to it a few days longer till I got back from holidays!

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 10, 2006
I was worried that it might hold up this ring, as it's such a long book, and I'm a slow reader. But once I got going, there was no stopping: I loved this book! I actually preferred the sections that were set in the thirteenth century. The places, the language and the people really came alive, and even brought a tear to my eye once, but maybe that was just me being soppy ;-) I do agree with previous readers though that the ending was not particularly strong. Having said that, I don't really know else she could have brought the story to a conclusion either.
nyassa-ici, many thanks for sharing this book! I now have AnglersRest's address, so I will send the book off to her as soon as I can get to the post office.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, August 11, 2006
Sent the book on its way to AnglersRest today.

Journal Entry 14 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Arrived this morning. I do have 3 rings in front, but moving within the month should not be a problem. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 15 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
Thanks for sharing the book with me. I would, like RubyBlueLady have preferred the book set in modern times with flashes back. Still an enjoyable book, but not one of my top 10!

I have PMed akg and as soon as I have an address will be in the post.

Journal Entry 16 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
Quick update - akg has obtained her own copy, so have just PMed heathwitch for an address.

Journal Entry 17 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, September 03, 2006
Just heard from heathwitch that she has managed to locate a copy so now PMing fredam for an address.

Journal Entry 18 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, September 04, 2006
In the post to fredam this morning. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by fredam from Yateley, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 07, 2006
received as part of a bookring - looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 20 by fredam from Yateley, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006
This was quite a good book. Ready to send on to Hellie, once I receive her address. Thanks for the bookring!

Journal Entry 21 by fredam from Yateley, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006
changing status for the moment

Journal Entry 22 by fredam from Yateley, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 04, 2006
very good book!!! Sent on the next person in the ring, hellie. Enjoy!