The Mermaid Chair (bookray)

by Sue Monk Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 2/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, February 27, 2006
This is a hardback book (Viking: New York, 2005) which I picked up at the book sale shelf of the Twinbrook Library in Rockville, Maryland.

It caught my eye because it is the Number One most requested book on Cliff's wish list this week!

I'm sending this book out as a bookray which will remain open at all times. Please PM me with your mailing preferences to join. Remember that the order of list participants is subject to change at any time due to mailing preferences or geography.

Begin International Bookray: (02/28/06)
SqueakyChu (Maryland) done
Wildflower67 (New Jersey) done
llama-mama205 (North Carolina) done
Mom2Ty (North Carolina) done
sarradee (Texas) done
Enidq (California--US)
End International Bookray: (10/26/06)

This bookray was ended because no confirmation was received from Enidq that this book was ever received. This book traveled for 8 months with 6 stops.

All remaining participants on this list were deleted after being notified of a new ray forming for The Mermaid Chair by jenptcfan.

Edit 12/24/06: PM rec'd from Enidq that she has the book. I advised her to either keep it or offer to help jptcfan with her bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 12, 2006
Was this book ever a big disappointment! For all the clamor of everyone desiring to read this book, I fail to see the reason.

I was never engaged in this story in any way, finding all of the characters flat and hard to like. The friends of Jessie's mother were annoying, and the action of the book absurd. I could not understand the psychology of the attraction between Father Thomas and Jessie. In most books in which there is some pyschological connection or friction, I can feel rather than read what it is. That was absent in this book. I don't know of any other way to explain this.

I could not wait to finish this book just to be done with it. The ending was not what I suspected, but even worse. All in all, the flow of the story seemed highly unrealistic to me.

I'm not sure I'll ever want to try another book by this author again, as I was also unimpressed with The Secret Life of Bees...also by Sue Monk Kidd. The Mermaid Chair was even worse.

I sincerely hope others find this a more rewarding read than I did. The book is now in the mail to Wildflower67 in New Jersey. Happy traveling, my underappreciated (at least by me) book! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by Wildflower67 from Ocean City, New Jersey USA on Saturday, March 18, 2006
This book arrived several days ago but I was unable to get to the library to journal it until today. I started reading it last night. Thank you SqueakyChu for allowing me to join in your bookring and also for the bookmarker you sent along, I love it! :)

Journal Entry 4 by Wildflower67 from Ocean City, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 23, 2006
I enjoyed this rather strange story. It was captivating enough to keep me plugging away to the end to find out what happens. I think what I mostly loved about this book was the setting and how I pictured it in my mind.

I have to admit though that I liked The Secret Life of Bees better. I've been reading Sue Monk Kidd since I was a teenager when she was a contributing writer with Daily Guideposts yearly books. These were real-life mini stories that were uplifting and spiritual in nature. I wonder if she still does them? I haven't read a Daily Guidepost in many years.

I'll be mailing this book on when I get llama-mama's address. Thanks SqueakyChu!

Journal Entry 5 by llama-mama205 from Pittsboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Rec'd today. I just started another (non-ring) book but I will set it aside to read this one.

Thanks for the postcard wildflower!

Journal Entry 6 by llama-mama205 from Pittsboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, April 03, 2006
This is my first book by Sue Monk Kidd. I enjoyed the story. Especially the descriptions of the areas around Egrett Island. I will look for her other books especially The Secret Life of bees which so many people say is even bettre than this one.

I will mail later this week when I can get to the PO.

Journal Entry 7 by Mom2Ty from Maiden, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Received this yesterday and can't wait to start it! Will send to the next person on the list when finished.

Edited to add: I'm sending to Sarra asap :)

Journal Entry 8 by sarradee from Arlington, Texas USA on Monday, July 10, 2006
Yay! It arrived safely. Unfortunately I have another ring and a half before I can start, but they shouldn't keep me too long (one of them is Stephen King). Thank you for including me, I'd signed up for another ring for this book, but it stalled before it got here.

Journal Entry 9 by sarradee from Arlington, Texas USA on Monday, July 24, 2006
I haven't read Secret Life of Bees yet so I can't make a comparison to that. Like SqueakyChu I was less than inspired by Jessie. I didn't find her character very appealing, and some of her choices just made me flat out uncomfortable. Her crazy mom was more of a hook, and I did really want to know why she did what she did (trying to avoid spoilers here). I found the resolution of that mystery somewhat contrived, as though the author had forced herself into a corner.

Thank you SqueakyChu for sharing, I always appreciate being able to read a book, even if I don't really appreciate the book itself. :)

I'm still planning on reading Bees, just to see if it's worlds above this story as I've been told, but my expectations have been somewhat lowered.

I actually wasn't planning on finishing this today, but had some free time, so I've only just PM'ed CarynPic to let her know she's up next. I'll have this out in the mail as soon as I have an address.

Update: 7/28/06 Still haven't heard from CarynPic, so I've PM'ed her again to ask for an addess. Hopefully second time is the charm.

Update: 7/29/06 CarynPic asked to be skipped, so I'm pm'ing Enidq for her address.

Update: 7/30/06 Got Enidq's address, will mail tomorrow. USPS electronic delivery confirmation 9102010521297160062093

Update: 8/12/06 The USPS website says this item was delivered on 8/5/06.

Update 10/22/06 Appears this book either never arrived despite the post office evidence to the contrary, or that it was never journalled. I'm removing it from my profile because it makes me sad to see the poor little lost book.

Journal Entry 10 by Enidq on Sunday, December 24, 2006
I am soooooo incredibly sorry. I could have sworn that I had journaled the receipt of this book. I will gladly send it on to someone else after the holidays or back to the original journaler.