Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha

Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 2/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, February 27, 2006
Abridged on 2 cassettes, approx. 3 hours, read by Aidan Gillen

From Publishers Weekly
Winning the 1993 Booker Prize propelled Doyle's fourth novel from its original spring publication to a December issue date. While retaining the candid pictures of family life, the swift, energetic prose, the ear-perfect vernacular dialogue and the slap-dash humor that distinguished The Van , The Snapper and The Commitments , this narrative has more poignance and resonance . Set in the working-class environment of an Irish town in the late 1960s, the story is related by bright, sensitive 10-year-old Paddy Clarke, who, when we first meet him, is merely concerned with being as tough as his peers. Paddy and his best friend Kevin are part of a neighborhood gang that sets fires in vacant buildings, routinely teases and abuses younger kids and plays in forbidden places. In episodic fashion, Doyle conveys the activities, taboos and ceremonies, the daring glee and often distorted sense of the world of boys verging on adolescence. As Paddy becomes aware that his parents' marriage is disintegrating, Doyle's control of his protagonist's voice remains unerring, and the gradual transition of Paddy's thoughts from the hurly-burly of play and pranks to a growing fear and misery about his father's alcoholic and abusive behavior is masterfully realized. While some topical references may bewilder readers unfamiliar with life in Ireland, other background details--the portrayal of small-town society, of the strict teacher who shows sudden empathy for Paddy--have universal interest. Most notable, however, is the emotional fidelity with which Doyle conveys Paddy's anguished reaction to the breakup of his family.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Friday, March 31, 2006
Wasn't terribly impressed but this one. It just didn't hold my attention very well. And it ended very abruptly.

Journal Entry 3 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Monday, May 08, 2006
Sent to lizziwhiz with some other audiobooks she requested.

Journal Entry 4 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Monday, May 15, 2006
this arrived safe in the mail today, thanks so much alsgal!

Journal Entry 5 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Monday, July 24, 2006
This was a good one to listen to in little snippets, since there wasn't really a plot but a series of scenes and "memories". Since there was no plot, there was no catharsis or climax to get to, so really you could stop anywhere. I did finish it, though, and toward the end started to get a bit bored. I agree with alsgal, it did end very abruptly, and I kind of went "huh?" and kept waiting for more. For whatever reason, I found the first cassette more interesting than the second; I laughed out loud quite often, or was reminded of things I had thought or said as a child. The things on the second cassette seemed more serious and less interesting, somehow. The reader was very good, I think, really capturing the enthusiasm of youth. I would actually rate the first cassette a 6, and the second cassette a 2, so my final score is a 4!

putting in the mail today for tranq1, since I lost the book I was supposed to send her!

Journal Entry 6 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, July 27, 2006
Received today from lizziwhizz. Thank you.

I really liked this audio. Much of it could be about a boy growing up anyplace. But it also had an Irish feel to it.

Journal Entry 7 by tranq1 at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 07, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (9/7/2007 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Putting in carlissa's Audio Bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 29, 2007
I took this out of the audio bookbox. I'm Irish and this looks like an interesting book I wouldn't normally read but might enjoy.

However, the clencher? READ BY AIDAN GILLEN! SQUEEEEEE! I *loved* him in Queer as Folk. I could listen to the man read a phone book and I'd still sigh happily.

Oh, I'm excited about this! Thanks muchly!

Journal Entry 9 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, December 24, 2007
Just finished listening to this today in the car while going about my last minute errands before Christmas.

I really enjoyed this. It took me a while to get into the tone and storytelling style- the stories all end abruptly then immediately start with the next, and without chapter headings or pauses, it's difficult to tell sometimes where one ends and the next begins. But, then, that's sort of how childhood feels- a jumble of experiences that all add up to make us who we grow up to become. I agree there wasn't really a plot, but there were strong themes throughout and I thought it ended perfectly, right where it should for the book to make sense. I liked some stories more than others, but all together it's a great collection of well-told experiences.

Oh, and Aidan reading them was just too good for words. Loved his heavy Irish accent and his fast pacing.

I'll probably set this aside for the next bookbox to come my way.

Journal Entry 10 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, January 23, 2009
Adding this to my bookbox ray: Earreading Audiobooks on Cassette Bookbox #1

I hope whoever finds it, enjoys it!

Journal Entry 11 by Mikavr on Monday, January 26, 2009
I'm taking this out of Katekintail's Cassette Audio Book Box Ray! Thank you Kate!

Aside: I don't remember Aiden in Queer As Folk, one of my favorite shows... can you remind me of which part he played, Kate?

Journal Entry 12 by Mikavr at Asheville, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 04, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/6/2009 UTC) at Asheville, North Carolina USA

Not my favorite, I couldn't understand the accent much of the time and when I could it just didn't keep my interest.

This is going in MyssCyn's Audio Box. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 13 by MyssCyn from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, November 07, 2009
This came to me in an audio bookbox I started ages ago. I will listen to it and then send it on a new journey.

Journal Entry 14 by MyssCyn at San Antonio, Texas USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/29/2012 UTC) at San Antonio, Texas USA

Making up a few audio bookboxes for the tapes I will never get around to listening to. Please wild release anything you don't want when the ray is finished.

If you find a book I've wild released please make a journal entry. You don't have to join the site to do it but it will let me know that someone found it. Then please pass it on when you are finished.
If I've RABCKed a book to you please feel free to RABCK it forward or wild release it.

RABCK=Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness See you SHOULD join if you haven't already. Someone may send you a book you put on a wishlist!