Ella Minnow Pea : A Novel in Letters

by Mark Dunn | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by xallroyx of Huntington Beach, California USA on 2/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006
Ella Minnow Pea is a girl living happily on the fictional island of Nollop off the coast of South Carolina. Nollop was named after Nevin Nollop, author of the immortal pangram,* “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” Now Ella finds herself acting to save her friends, family, and fellow citizens from the encroaching totalitarianism of the island’s Council, which has banned the use of certain letters of the alphabet as they fall from a memorial statue of Nevin Nollop. As the letters progressively drop from the statue they also disappear from the novel. The result is both a hilarious and moving story of one girl’s fight for freedom of expression, as well as a linguistic tour de force sure to delight word lovers everywhere.

Journal Entry 2 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Thursday, June 08, 2006
This was such a good book!! I read it because I owed AM10000 a book for relay groupies and this was on her wishlist. I am so glad I did because it took an original idea and made it entertaining. It also makes you realize just how important every letter of the English is! It must have taken the wirter awhile to figure out how to write the letters without the illegal letters each time one was removed.
It also told a good lesson that a very small group of people can take meanings from something small and affect the lives of everyone with what they perceive the meaning to be. I liked that Ella refused to leave until her point was made.
I hope AM loves this book as well :)

Journal Entry 3 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
mailed to three 104 for relay groupies!

Journal Entry 4 by AM10000 from Sunnyvale, California USA on Thursday, June 15, 2006
Thanks so much for choosing this one to send to me!! :) I've heard so many good things about it. And I LOVE the label inside. :)

RSV for HoserLauren who won it in my RABCK contest

Journal Entry 5 by AM10000 at To a fellow BookCrosser in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (4/3/2007 UTC) at To a fellow BookCrosser in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent today from my RABCK contest at BookObsessed.com

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I received this today, thanks so much AM! I've also heard so many good things about this book, I'm excited to read it!

Thanks for passing it along to me! :)

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Ella Minnow Pea and her family live in Nollopville, a fictional island off the coast of South Carolina. The country is named after Nevin Nollop, the person who came up with the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" and the country idolizes Nollop. At the city center stands a statue of Nollop and his famous phrase in tiles.

The entire novel is a bunch of letters, mostly between Ella and her cousin, but also between other characters in the novel. When a tile containing a single letter from Nollop's phrase falls off the monument, the city council decides to ban the letter from usage. Anyone that is heard using the word or seen writing it is given a warning, then a whipping, then banished from the island. But soon, more and more letters start to fall from the monument until only LMNOP are left.

I had heard so many good things about this book and I have to say I was a bit let down by it. While it was a very unique concept and quite interesting to see an author skirt around the inability to use specific letters in his writing, I found that overall the novel fell a bit flat.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 10, 2008
This book is with me now

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 19, 2008
This is a very creative book. As the letters fall off on the Saying "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" underneath a statue of Nevin Nollup who coined the phrase, the residents of the island nation of Nollup are banned to use the letter. The punishment is flogging, expulsion and even death. It is easy to think that some letters would not be missed too much and at first they are not.

The book is a series of letters using the allowed letters only. The author cleverly uses words and makes up new words. I found the book a little silly and at the end really had to work at 'reading' the letters

Journal Entry 10 by irenic from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 28, 2008
Won this at the book swap. Looks good.

Journal Entry 11 by irenic from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 16, 2009
I finally got around to read this. It was a great book. I love the idea of having to learn to write and speak while someone is deeming it illegal to use certain letters. It was also a good story about politicians who are given too much leeway and what can happen.

Off to another BCer.