She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club)

by Wally Lamb | Romance |
Registered by cowgirl-up of Springfield, Ohio USA on 2/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006
One of my all-time favorite books. It's so incredibly honest and the coming-of-age of the main character is so real I found it incredibly hard to believe it was written by a man. I've decided to pull this one from my personal bookshelf and register it to share with other BCers. Here's the description from the back of the book:

Meet Dolores Price. She's thirteen, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood good-bye. Beached like a whale in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pesi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally rolls into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before really going belly up.

In his extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. At once a fragile girl and a hard-edged cynic, so tough to love yet so inimitably lovable, Dolores is as poignantly real as our own imperfections. SHE'S COME UNDONE includes a promise: you will never forget Dolores Price.

Journal Entry 2 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 14, 2006
I'm going to send this book out as a bookray. Below is the current shipping order. Be sure to check back to this entry before you send the book along. I'm leaving the ray open to new members to join even after it starts.

m7c57 (US)
BooksAndJava (US)
boogal (US)
rebeccaljames (US; asked to be skipped)
MandaJo (US) <---book is on the way here
mellonhead (US)
laurarn (US)
eloisamos (Brazil)
darkpunkangel (Canada)
Iagegu (UK)

If you'd like to join just PM me.

Journal Entry 3 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Thursday, July 06, 2006
Mailed today to m7c57. Let the ray begin!

Journal Entry 4 by m7c57 from Rhome, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Traveling! We had a bad storm after I mailed the book and was not able to get back online. The book arrived to the next person before I got to give the confirmation number that it was on the way. I am glad that it may it's destination.

Journal Entry 5 by BooksAndJava from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Book arrived today!!! I will get started on it soon.

Journal Entry 6 by BooksAndJava from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, January 07, 2007
I agree with cowgirl-up: it's hard to believe a character as real as Dolores Price was created by a man. I also feel as if Lamb captured the time periods quite well. My only complaint is that he left a few of the supporting characters' stories unfinished, but I suppose that is why they are supporting characters instead of main ones.

Overall, this was a great read and a book that I kept coming back to anytime I had a spare moment. Thank you for sharing it! I have already PMed bookgal23 and will mail it as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 7 by BooksAndJava from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Book is on its way! Sorry for the delay....we've been a one car family for a while and there's no P.O. within walking distance.

Journal Entry 8 by CharmedKim from Secaucus, New Jersey USA on Thursday, February 08, 2007
The book arrived the other day. Thanks for sharing it! I'll get it read and sent as soon as possible.

Also, I've changed my screenname to boogal, so it's still me! :D

Journal Entry 9 by CharmedKim from Secaucus, New Jersey USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007
I'm so glad that I finished this book. I'm sorry it took me so long, but I had to put it down several times and pick up some lighter reads to get me through the depressing parts. However, it is a wonderful story of growth and love; beautifully-written. Thanks so much for sharing it, cowgirl-up.

I have MandaJo's address (rebeccaljames asked to be skipped) and will send the book on its way as soon I get chance, probably tomorrow or Saturday.

Journal Entry 10 by CharmedKim from Secaucus, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 30, 2007
Finally...finally, the book is on its way to MandaJo as of this afternoon. I'm so sorry for the delay; I've been intending to send it out ever since my last journal entry, but now it's definitely continuing on its journey.

Journal Entry 11 by MandaJo from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Monday, May 25, 2009
This book was received long ago, but never journaled. I will follow up with the next available person in the ray to determine if they still need this copy.