The Pied Piper's Poison

by Christopher Wallace | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Molyneux of Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 2/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 26, 2006
An army doctor investigates a plague in a Polish village. What he finds there is deeply unsettling and harrowing. Meanwhile, a colleague is unravelling a similar tale 300 years old - one that arose only to be twisted into its current form, as the fairy-story, the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Journal Entry 2 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2007
Click here to find out more about BookCrossing in Oxfordshire
Reserved for release as part of the Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge... ‘Punctuation’ Week 11

Released 12 yrs ago (3/18/2007 UTC) at Grahamstown in A bookcrosser , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posting off to dododumpling - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 23, 2007
This looks very interesting ... thanks, Mol! Thanks for the bookmark too. :)

Journal Entry 5 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007
An intriguing story exploring the links between the fate of the inhabitants of Hammelin during the Thirty Years War and a group of refugees in Poland following World War II. I particularly liked the bleakness - there's no attempt to tidy everything up for a neat conclusion.

Journal Entry 6 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
I'm sending this out as a bookray.

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and life gets in the way sometimes!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in the JE so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants
1. scotsbookie, Peebles (international OK)
2. BookGroupMan, Woodbridge (international OK)
3. microsquid, Cobh, Ireland (international OK)
4. willowfae, Milton Keynes (UK only)
5. Celticseahorse, Newquay (international OK)

The person at the end of the list gets to decide what to do with the book.

Journal Entry 7 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 19, 2007
The Pied Piper is piping his way northwards to scotsbookie.

Journal Entry 8 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
This book arrived safely with me yesterday, thank you dododumpling. #2 on Mount TBR

Journal Entry 9 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2007
An interesting book, I enjoyed the intertwining of the tale of the Pied Piper & that of the refugees, it had a very satisfying & understandable conclusion. There was no trying to disguise the bleakness of post-war Berlin or Poland or of Hamelin during the 30 Year's War. I felt the whole tone of the book gave a sense of hopelessness for the characters,reflected in their surroundings.

Thank you dododumpling, I'll be sending this of to BookGroupMan asap.

Released 12 yrs ago (9/10/2007 UTC) at Mailed to a fellow bookcrosser in Post Office, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 11 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 13, 2007
Thanks Scotsbookie - received safe and sound. Hopefully I can get around to this quite soon after clearing a couple of books that I already have on the go :)

Journal Entry 12 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, September 22, 2007
*Includes spoiler*

I loved the way that Christopher Wallace – in his debut novel – takes such a famous legend/folk tale and creates a devastating ‘true’ history and alternative re-telling. The descent into chaos in 17thC Hamelin is interleaved with a post-WWII mystery, although the 2 stories didn’t quite tie up IMO. I thought the British and American characters in the German refugee camps were very well drawn, the naïve Robert Watt, the unhinged Arthur Lee and the manipulative OSS Vesey (pre-CIA). The 2 love interests of Watt’s were less convincing. But I preferred background of the 30 years war and the quasi-historical setting for the blighted town of Hamelin and the mysterious piper, even though it all went a bit unbelievable in the end!

Thank you for the opportunity to share! I will PM microsquid to get this moved on to the Emerald Isle as soon as possible.

Footnote: I had to check on the reference to ‘ergotism’ to see how much of this, if any, was rooted in fact, and it is!

“Ergotism is the effect of long-term ergot poisoning, classically due to the ingestion of the alkaloids produced by the Claviceps purpurea fungus which infects rye and other cereals, and more recently by the action of a number of ergoline-based drugs. It is also known as...St Anthony's fire.”

...and so so it goes on to Ireland...

Journal Entry 14 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Friday, September 28, 2007
Just arrived today, can't wait although I have a stack of TBRs...
(Tell me you haven't heard that story before)

Journal Entry 15 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Monday, November 05, 2007
Wow - I loved this book and will be heartily recommending it to all and sundry. The interleaving of the barbarity of the two wars and their civilian impacts was fantastic, although I would have liked to see a little more of the fate of the mayor. Even the ending, not with a bang but with a whimper - fantastic (perhaps I'm overusing the word, but it's true!) And yes I liked the biochemistry as well :) Will forward to willowfae this week.

Journal Entry 16 by Willowfae from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 14, 2007
Thanks for sending this on. Will read as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 17 by Willowfae from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 05, 2008
Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to read this as my personal circumstances have changed since I received the book. I posted it on today.

Journal Entry 18 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, June 06, 2008
Arrived in Cornwall this morning..and ssshh I musn't say this too loud but the sun has been out nearly all day..but still a very cold wind.. I have a quieter week next week so will try to get on with this fairly swiftly ..it certainly looks interesting. Thanks for ring Dododumpling, and thanks for sending Willowfae

Journal Entry 19 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, June 28, 2008
Interesting book. I enjoyed the solving of a myth/mystery but still adding its own slight cloth of mystique. The soldiering elements rang true for me from other books I have read. The personalities and politics of Hammelin were very believable.
Arthur's story and distress were very well written, providing a stark contrast to the pliability and gaucheness of the narrator. Then tieing this together with some genuine science and the 2 time periods brillant.

I would certainly recommend this to others to read. I look forward to reading more of this new author.

I will move this to available but plan to take it to my local bookgroup to pass on or lend out they still won't bookcross just pass things around ! but I can think of a least one person who might be interested ..then possible on to my mearest OBCZ Polperro whilst I can get there on summer buses

Thanks again for raying this dododumpling

Journal Entry 20 by celticseahorse at Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/2/2008 UTC) at Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom

Passing this on to a fellow book lover at my monthly Reader's group..and introducing them to Bookcrossing:-)
Hope they like what they find and the book enjoys being on its travels again..have fun little book I enjoyed reading you.. again something I might never have come across without being a BCer
New owner if you have any questions send me a PM ..happy to help