I Know WHY the Caged Bird Sings

by Maya Angelou | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by cowgirl-up of Springfield, Ohio USA on 2/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006
Maya Angelou is such an inspirational person and writer. I was fortunate enough to be able to see her speak at our city's performing arts center a few years ago. Her books are honest, intriguing, passionate, heartbreaking and inspirational all at the same time. I fell in love with the writing style and the people in her story.

Journal Entry 2 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 14, 2006
I've decided to start this book on a journey as a bookray. Below is the current shipping order. Be sure to check back to this entry before you send the book along. I'm leaving the ray open to new members to join even after it starts.

rebeccaljames (US)
-Psyche- (US)
kayjay33 (Canada)
Ibis3 (Canada)
Drusillamac (Scotland) (asked to be skipped)
Tammychi (US; wants to stay near end) <---on the way here

Journal Entry 3 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Thursday, July 06, 2006
Mailed today to rebeccaljames. Let the ray begin!

Journal Entry 4 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006
I just received this book today. I have a couple of books before it. I should be able to start this book in a couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 5 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, October 22, 2006
This is a wonderful book. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing. I will send this book to Psyche as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 6 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, November 09, 2006
I sent this out yesterday afternoon.

Journal Entry 7 by -Psyche- on Saturday, January 27, 2007
The book has arrived! I teach a portion of this book in my English class, so it's nice to re-read it to its completion. I will send out as soon as I have the address of the next participant.

Journal Entry 8 by -Psyche- at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 05, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (2/5/2007 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to British Columbia! Thanks

Journal Entry 9 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, February 15, 2007
This book arrived in my mailbox this morning. I will read it next as soon as I finish my current book. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 10 by wingkayjay33wing from Langley, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 23, 2007
I didn't really like this book very much although I know that she is considered to be an excellent writer. Just not my type I guess.Maybe because her life style was so very different from my own.
I have sent a message to the next reader for her address but didn't get it as yet. Tomorrow I am off for a week long holiday so the book will have to wait here until I get home again.

Journal Entry 11 by wingkayjay33wing at Controlled Release in Langley, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (3/6/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Langley, British Columbia Canada

By Canada Post to Ibis, the next person on the Bookray. I'm sorry to be so long sending it on, but I broke my ankle and I'm not getting around very well. My daughter is going to mail it for me today.

Journal Entry 12 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Received in the mail today. I have a few other books to read before I can get to this one, but I'll try to be quick about it.

Journal Entry 13 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 28, 2007
Sorry I took so long with this book--I've been inundated with work and a bunch of bookrings all at once.

I'm gratified (pleased? proud? not sure that's the right word) that a girl who endured so much trauma and poverty and racism grew up to be so well-educated, so influential, and so strong an adult woman. She's an inspiration to all of us women, and, I'm sure, especially young black girls who still suffer such bitter obstacles to their achieving happiness today.

I found the book slow in parts and a little uneven in the pacing (I often wanted more about certain events and people, and less about others). Over all, it was an interesting window on to a world that I'm quite thankful is quite alien to me.

I've PM'd Drusillamac.

Journal Entry 14 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 19, 2007
Drusillamac asked to be skipped, so I've sent it to Tammychi. Went out in the post last night. I'm so sorry to have kept hold of it for so long--I had a rain of bookrings that came all at once.