After the Quake

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CandyDarling of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 25, 2006
Synopsis
The economy was booming. People had more money than they knew what to do with. And then the earthquake struck. Komura's wife follows the TV reports from morning to night: images of flames, smoke, buildings turned to rubble, fires everywhere. Pure hell. For the characters in Murakami's latest short-story collection, the Kobe earthquake is an echo from a past they buried long ago. Satsuki has spent 30 years hating one man who destroyed her chances of having children. Did her desire for revenge cause the earthquake? Junpei's estranged parents live in Kobe. Should he contact them? Four-year-old Sala has nightmares that the Earthquake Man is trying to stuff her and everyone else inside a little box. Unappreciated and unpromoted, Katagiri returns home to find a giant frog in his apartment on a mission to save Tokyo from a massive burrowing worm. "When he gets angry, he causes earthquakes," says Frog. "And right now he is very, very angry."

Journal Entry 2 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 27, 2012
I still want to read Haruki Murakami, but I think it's time to let this book go and wait until another book falls into my lap.

Journal Entry 3 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 27, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (7/27/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Mailed this book to LiskoMiettinen. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Monday, July 30, 2012
Jei, jipii. Suosikki kirjailijani kirjoja tuli tänään. Kiitoksia. Thank you very much! I am so happy. :D :D :D

Journal Entry 5 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Monday, September 10, 2012
I like this very much. I just hope my english could be much better so I can understand almost everything. Now some words are just words to me. Still Murakami is one of my favorite writer and I just hope to read more his books. Ok and I had started to love short stories as well, so this was very nice also because of that. Sorry that I can't tell much more because my english is not very good.

Journal Entry 6 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (1/23/2013 UTC) at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland

Innostuinkin tekemään pyöräily + posti + kauppakeskus vilkuilu ja kirpputori kierroksen (kirjojen lisää haalinnan). Jotenka tämä kirja pääsi toivelistahippauksen myötä myös matkalle tänään.

Journal Entry 7 by wingruzenawing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 28, 2013
The book is here. Thank you, LizardMiettinen :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingruzenawing at Mäntyharju, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, February 17, 2021
神の子どもたちはみな踊る, Kami no Kodomo-tachi wa Mina Odoru, lit. "All God's Children Can Dance", first published 2000, transl. by Jay Rubin 2002. Vintage pocketbook 2003, 132 pages.

Six short stories:
UFO in Kushiro
Landscape with Flatiron
All God’s Children Can Dance
Thailand
Superfrog Saves Tokyo
Honey Pie

"Try not to watch the news," Junpei said. "Don't even turn on the TV. The earthquake's all they're showing these days."

It was the real prime time now to read this book. Just replace "earthquake" with "corona pandemic"...

In 1995, the Kobe earthquake in Japan killed thousands of people. The stories do not directly tell about the catastrophe, yet it looms there in the background in one way or another. The stories differ and are open to many interpretations, having not just a simple storyline. A most special story is Superfrog Saves Tokyo - you decide if it is a surrealistic fairy-tale or a medical report of a man who got mad. My favorites were UFO in Kushiro and Honey Pie. All God’s Children Can Dance turns exciting. And the rest were good enough, so I did read the whole collection a second time.
The cover picture is apt.

-ruzena

196/1001

Journal Entry 9 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Kiitos toivelistakirjasta!

Journal Entry 10 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Saturday, April 17, 2021
Great book! The descriptions about connections between people were perceptive. Also there were many basic elements: fire, water and of course the earth. And I think the wind was also there in the form of movement and dance.

In a story "All God's Children Can Dance" Yoshiya was dancing alone in the open air without music. It was a great description. I love to dance and I love to dance in the open air.

In the story "Super-Frog Saves Tokyo" there is a fine thought about different "creatures". "The world is like a great big overcoat, and it needs pockets of various shapes and sizes." (p. 88)

With this book I participate in Delenna's Travelling around the world -challenge. There is a story called Thailand. I've never been there and neither I'm planning to go. I think it's too hot and too far away.

Journal Entry 11 by halonhakkaaja at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Released 4 wks ago (4/20/2021 UTC) at Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland

Toivelistayllärinä eteenpäin :) Nautinnollisia lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 12 by Tarna at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 22, 2021
Wow, what a surprise! Got a wishlist Murakami and another interesting looking book in the same package. Plus a postcard. Thank you so very much halonhakkaaja.